Wireless connection goes stale

Hello,

I have a cable modem that is connected to a Netgear 108 MHz wireless router. My Windows XP Pro computer is connected to it with an RJ45 connector. My girlfriend's XP Home Edition computer is connected to it wirelessly with a D-Link 108 MHz adapter. Currently the connection strength is 68%. The wireless connection seems to work well for a few hours, maybe a day, then it stops working. Once you establish the connection, it never seems to go bad as long as you are using it. After the computer sits idle for some time the connection stops working and you have to reboot the machine to restore the connection.

I've doing a "Repair Connection" in the XP Wireless Network Connection stuff and it tells me that it was unable to renew her IP address. When this happens her signal strength will say "Very Good" while her Status will say "Little or no connectivity." I've gone to a command prompt and doing a ipconfig /renew. I see:

Windows IP Configuration

An error occurred while renewing interface Wireless Network Connection

4 : unabl e to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.

After I get fed up and reboot (which fixes her network connection) I do an ipconfig /all and see:

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, October 15, 2005

9:42:12 A M Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, October 16, 2005 9:42:12 AM

I'm wondering if she's losing the connection when the lease expires. Is there any way to make the lease never expire? Any idea what's happening?

Thanks, Eric

Reply to
eric.goforth
Loading thread data ...

This may be a wireless router problem. Make sure it's updated with the latest firmware.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.