Apple - iPad network woes

I seem to recall from a few years back that there were some problems with Apple & local networks at some schools... was it with the iTouch ?

Now - with the iPad, I seem to recall some recent news again about probs at colleges with DHCP and other issues.

Have these issues been identified and resolved ?

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

~ I seem to recall from a few years back ~ that there were some problems with Apple & local networks ~ at some schools... was it with the iTouch ? ~ ~ Now - with the iPad, I seem to recall some recent news ~ again about probs at colleges with DHCP and other issues. ~ ~ Have these issues been identified and resolved ?

formatting link
I believe, current, complete and accurate information on the subject.

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

formatting link
has, I believe, current, complete and accurate information on

great article - think I'll reset my home DHCP lease time, just to see how things change with our own network - or not -

If I'm sitting, with my laptop, and my lease expires, does the stack request a new lease at that time ? or does it just keep using the existing IP until a reboot ?

Reply to
ps56k

A properly designed and configured DHCP client will attempt to renew the current IP from the current DHCP server at 50%.

If this fails, the client will continue attempting to renew occasionally (starting at 50% of the remaining time before the 87.5% mark, each time going 50% closer but not more than once per 60 seconds) until 87.5% of the lease time has expired.

Once at 87.5% the DHCP client starts attempting to contact any available DHCP server (rather than only the original one) to renew.

Once the lease expires a DHCP client MUST immediately stop using the IP. Similarly, if the client receives a DHCPNAK at any point then the lease must be invalidated immediately even if not yet expired.

Reply to
DevilsPGD

~ > ~ I seem to recall from a few years back ~ > ~ that there were some problems with Apple & local networks ~ > ~ at some schools... was it with the iTouch ? ~ > ~ ~ > ~ Now - with the iPad, I seem to recall some recent news ~ > ~ again about probs at colleges with DHCP and other issues. ~ > ~ ~ > ~ Have these issues been identified and resolved ? ~ >

~ >

~ >

formatting link
> has, I believe, current, complete and accurate information on ~ > the subject. ~ >

~ > Aaron ~ ~ great article - ~ think I'll reset my home DHCP lease time, ~ just to see how things change with our own network - or not -

I've configured my home DHCP server with fixed bindings for each client - e.g. the client with MAC 0014.51e5.cebb always gets the address 10.0.0.4. This of course completely prevents the iPad DHCP bug from causing any problems, as no other client can ever get the iPad's address.

My daughter's iPad has had zero 802.11g network problems since she got it. (I can report, however, that dropping the iPad

2 feet onto a tile floor doesn't work so well, and isn't covered by warranty either.)

Cheers,

Aaron

Reply to
Aaron Leonard

"permitting us to assign globally-routable IP addresses to clients without requiring Princeton to impose a NAT between wireless clients and the Internet"

Never even heard of anyone doing that before. I don't suppose too many got in early enough to get a suitable address allocation:(

Reply to
bod43

NOTE: Posting from groups.google.com (or some web-forums) dramatically reduces the chance of your post being seen. Find a real news server.

The 'main' Princeton net was allocated in February 1986, and the 'dormnet' was allocated in May 1990. Each was a ``Class B'' network of 65536 addresses (called a /16 in CIDR). Princeton had about 6000 students and 600 faculty at that time, and the Internet Registry was still handing out address space as if it were water. See RFC1166 for examples:

1166 Internet numbers. S. Kirkpatrick, M.K. Stahl, M. Recker. July 1990. (Format: TXT=566778 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC1117, RFC1062, RFC1020) (Updated by RFC5737) (Status: INFORMATIONAL)

and subsequent documents like RFC1466, RFC1917 and RFC2050.

1466 Guidelines for Management of IP Address Space. E. Gerich. May 1993. (Format: TXT=22262 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC1366) (Obsoleted by RFC2050) (Status: INFORMATIONAL) 1917 An Appeal to the Internet Community to Return Unused IP Networks (Prefixes) to the IANA. P. Nesser II. February 1996. (Format: TXT=23623 bytes) (Also BCP0004) (Status: BEST CURRENT PRACTICE) 2050 Internet Registry IP Allocation Guidelines. K. Hubbard, M. Kosters, D. Conrad, D. Karrenberg, J. Postel. November 1996. (Format: TXT=28975 bytes) (Obsoletes RFC1466) (Also BCP0012) (Status: BEST CURRENT PRACTICE)

IPv6 is supposed to be the solution, and the _smallest_ assignments or allocations made by the five RIRs are four '/64's (in the UK, Japan, Korea and Hong Kong) each of which has 18.45 x 10^18 addresses - which is enough to provide every person in the world with nearly 3 billion addresses.

Old guy

Reply to
Moe Trin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.