Windows equivalent of Linux's 'iwlist scan' command

Is there a Windows equivalent if the 'iwlist' utility on Linux. In particular, I want to see the results of the 'iwlist scan' command.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger
Loading thread data ...

I want to see the

I assume the standard wireless network configuration screens aren't enough for you? These show all APs in range, plus misc details about them. Other than that you need to use a 3rd party utility like netstumbler.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Larry Finger hath wroth:

I want to see the

Well, if your unspecified operating system happens to be XP SP2, and you're unspecified wireless contrivance happens to use NDIS 5.1 drivers, this should apply:

Try: start -> run -> cmd netsh show all netsh show networks I'm on a W2K machine without wireless so I can't post typical output.

Also, note that you can run netsh interactively from the command line. Just run "netsh" and you'll get an "netsh>" prompt. Then type in the appropriate command such as: netsh> show networks mode=ssid

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 27 Jan 2007 09:03:46 -0800, Jeff Liebermann wrote in :

I want to see the

That Microsoft document applies to Vista, and won't work on XP SP2. The only show commands available under XP SP2 are: show alias - Lists all defined aliases. show helper - Lists all the top-level helpers. show mode - Shows the current mode.

Reply to
John Navas

particular, I want to see the

Thanks for your help. I'm using XP SP2 with an NDIS driver. What I wanted to see is what is displayed from an AP that hides the SSID.

Larry

Reply to
Larry Finger

I have wireless NICs in two laptops, and there are vendor-supplied utilities to provide that information, even if there's none built into Windows.

My R51 Thinkpad with an Intel 2200BG uses the IBM/Lenovo "Access Connections" utility, while my old TP600E with an Orinoco Gold card uses whatever came with the card.

There's also "Net Stumbler" which should work with most wireless NICs you'll run across.

formatting link

Reply to
Bert Hyman

replying to Larry Finger, beezlewaxin wrote: I'm on WIN7 64-bit and this command worked for me:

netsh wlan show networks

-----------------------------------------

Here is what the output to this command looks like:

C:\Users\beezle>netsh wlan show networks

Interface name : Wireless Network Connection There are 15 networks currently visible.

SSID 1 : Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : Open Encryption : WEP

SSID 2 : DEHIASHIVE-PC_Network Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 3 : CenturyLink0890 Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 4 : castro Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 5 : ChooseHappy Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 6 : beckyscomputer Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA-Personal Encryption : TKIP

SSID 7 : Tenda_2B4F38 Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 8 : SoapBarandThrillEmporium Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 9 : CenturyLink8716 Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 10 : mazingerZ Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 11 : HCLAN Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 12 : ERR0R Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 13 : lily1209 Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

SSID 14 : lefamily Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA-Personal Encryption : TKIP

SSID 15 : SloPainSoldier Network type : Infrastructure Authentication : WPA2-Personal Encryption : CCMP

Reply to
beezlewaxin

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.