WiFi Access

I've just set up my Wireless connection for a Laptop and a PC. I'm using WPA encryption with a 25-string letter/number WPA passphrase yet when I look at the settings on my PC/Laptop there is another SSID in addition to mine. How is this possible? Can someone access my PC this way, or would they have to work ouot the passphrase for the encryption. And is this person using my connection to access the internet?

Reply to
mrblue
Loading thread data ...

This other SSID is probably one of your neighbours access points. Are you connecting the lappy with your PC by IBSS, ad hoc? Otherwise give your access point a unique name. Not the default one.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Connecting by Infrastructure, and the access point has a unique name.

So, is it probably not connecting through my internet connection? The other SSID displays a different channel number to mine.

Reply to
mrblue

On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 22:16:36 GMT, mrblue wrote in :

Good.

Your Wi-Fi radio is just showing you all the SSIDs (access points) it can find. Those are wireless hosts, just like your own access point, not wireless clients that could connect to you. To find out what's connected to your own wireless network, look for a status page in the access point web interface, not your computer's client adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

No, it's definately not connecting through your wireless network. All you're seeing is some of the other wireless networks within range. Other SSIDs in range could be non-broadcasting. No need to change anything on your connection (leave SSID broadcasting on to warn/keep off others from using the same channel as you are using).

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.