Wi Fi Lan

I've set up a small local wi fi network inside the builing I live in.

For some reasons, I'm interested to know what's going on on the network (is anybody downloading files illegaly...). The DHCP info I catch from my modem settings web interface (Belkin) tells me only the number of people connected. But I'm not sure if the information is up to date at each request or if it keeps the info in some kind of a cookie and gives me the same info until a new cookie is set with the latest info. So, I think there might be a variable delay (from a day or two) about a reliable DHCP network information.

Therefore I would like to have more precise information about the network, like how many computers are connected and if for instance my brother is connected, the traffic each user generates and so on.

Is there any freeware, not to difficult to configure that could help work this out?

Reply to
cherriesbaked
Loading thread data ...

Yes but it won't work with just any router. See:

formatting link
can get one of the supported routers (that send SNMP traps) and use your Belkin as an access point instead of a router.

Another possibility is:

formatting link
doesn't do everything you want, but is worth looking at.

If you get a WRT54G with DD-WRT firmware, you can run:

formatting link
perhaps:
formatting link
If you use Ethereal to sniff the traffic and filter on your brothers MAC address, you can capture all his traffic.
formatting link
There are huge number of other monitoring tools around.
formatting link
formatting link
supply some specifics as to exactly what you want to monitor, what you expect to see, what output (data, tables, graphs, web) you find useful, and what it's going to run upon (Windoze, Mac, Linux, Unix), and I'll see if I can recommend something specific.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.