VOIP via Wi-Fi security questions

Hello

I am planning on using a USB VOIP phone for connection to my laptop while I am on business travel. Hotels and coffee shops will be my primary locations, to include free hot spots when available.

The advantages of being able to talk nationwide at low cost is very appealing, however I need fairly secure communications for discussing client and patient issues, in private.

What should I do to ensure "bulletproof" security? I mean anti-eavesdropping but also security of my laptop itself.

I currently surf hotspots via Wi-Fi with the following procedures

- Sygate Firewall active at all times

- AntiVirus software active at all times

- VPN, HotSpotVPN, used at all times

- File Sharing, Print Sharing turned off

** My VPN assigns a new IP to my computer...if I ran the VPN thru an anonymous proxy server, would that help or hurt security? Is it true that VOIP behind a VPN is pretty much 100% secure? (aside from Big Brother, which is not my concern anyway).

Thanks for your help and Happy New Year

Again, the goals are anti-eavesdropping, computer security, and overall unable-to-identify-me-via-IP/other capability.

thanks

Reply to
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Michael J. Pelletier

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.