Wi-Fi with Windows ME?

I just picked up an old laptop with ME on it, and a Linksys wireless = card. I installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added = a password to the log in screen.

Being a paranoid (what was that??) feller... what else would I need to = keep others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or = other hot spot?

Thanks!

Bob

Reply to
Guv Bob
Loading thread data ...

installed a garden variety firewall and virus filter, and added a password to the log in screen.

others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or other hot spot?

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Don't use ME or 98, you're just asking for trouble. Not many new devices even bother to come with drivers for it. That and it's security is terrible.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Hi When using an Open WIFI the security is Off so it does Not really matters which OS you use. The trick is to leave Files Sharing Off so that people can Not access your Hard Drive. In any case laptops that run WinME are usually capable to run Windows2000. Windows 2000 is much much better then Windows ME so if you can afford it switch the OS. Jack (MVP-Networking).

Being a paranoid (what was that??) feller... what else would I need to keep others from accessing my computer when using it at Starbucks or other hot spot?

Thanks!

Bob

Reply to
Jack (MVP-Networking).

Thanks, everyone! How do you set file sharing?

Windows2000.

Reply to
Guv Bob

A VPN access.

Reply to
F8BOE

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.