use a spare wireless router as a repeater?

Hello,

I have a wifi network at home (Hercules router) and I would like to use my spare wifi router (DSL-G604T) to extend the range of my network without running wires around.

Now I don't think that this spare D-link router has a 'repeater' mode but is there another way to do this?

I'm a bit confused with the whole gateway-bridging-repeating stuff but if there is a way to link those two routers together wirelessly I suppose that I can kinda extend the range of the network?

Thanks to whomever can help,

S.

Reply to
svendr
Loading thread data ...

I could be wrong on this, maybe someone else is more of an expert and can help further. But I don't believe what you want to do can be done without running wires to the 604 and simply using it as another access point in your house. (assuming its running in your house) Just turn off DHCP, put it on the same subnet, and it'll function like an access point for your network. I believe you'd need a higher end unit to function as a repeater. Anyone else have any input on this?

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Reply to
Canucklehead

On 27 Nov 2006 09:08:47 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Either (a) run wires to the remote router or (b) get a "wireless Ethernet bridge" (client bridge) to connect it wirelessly.

(a) includes Ethernet, powerline networking, phoneline networking, and coax networking.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.