UMTS modems

Hi, is discussion of Wireless broadband modems (UMTS) on topic in this newsgroup? I have a Merlin PCMCIA card which I want to connect to a local provider "3".

Ian.

Reply to
Ian.
Loading thread data ...

Then plug in your sim-card, install the driver and put in info about what is the name of the basestation (typically host name using GPRS) and your account name and password if this is needed with your provider. Then you are off to surf the net. Remember that Windows accept only one default gateway, usually the last one you connect (DHCP). You will still be able to traffic the other interfaces you may have on the same machine, but only for IP's in the same subnet as yourself. Everything else will go though defait gateway of the last connected interface which include a default gateway. If your card got an external antenna plug I recommend that you buy yourself an omnidirectinal antenna with at least 2dBi. This will give you more coverage and higher bandwidth. That's pretty much all there is to it.

Reply to
Chrisjoy

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.