Two wireless routers wired together

Here is my situation:

I rent an apartment on the first floor of a house. My landlord has his offices upstairs. There, he has a cable modem and a Linksys WRT54GS. That router is then connected into a wall socket using an ethernet cable (I assume the other end is in one of the LAN ports of the WRT54GS).

Then, on my floor, I connect my wall socket to my router, a Linksys BEFW11S4 (Version 3). The only way my router works consistently is to connect the wall socket to the Uplink port of my BEFW11S4. However, it's only wired connections that work; I have never been able to get wireless working. Because of client confidentiality, my landlord does not want me to use his wireless connection, so I need some way to get mine working.

Several articles explain how to set up my router as an access point. I have tried the method described (switching the Device IP address, disabling DHCP, changing SSID and channel), but again, things only work using the Uplink port. I can never seem to make a direct LAN-LAN connection (the lights on my router never come on). And I can never get wireless working.

Any thoughts on where the problem might be? Or maybe a way that my landlord could give me wireless internet access using his WRT54GS that would not give me access to computers on his network? I really appreciate any help!

Reply to
Paul Zitarelli
Loading thread data ...

Actually if you are attached to one of the LAN ports on his router reguardless of wether you plug into your lan, wan or uplink port YOU are on his NETWORK and will be able to see all of his machines. Find out exactly what is going on on the other end. What happens if you plug the wall jack straight into your computers ethernet port, do you get an IP address and default gateway via DHCP? If you do then it would seem that everything on his end is correct and that something is wrong with your router or it is not configured correctly. If you need to buy a new router look at the Buffalo WHR-G54, WHR-HP-G54 or a Linksys WRT54GL.

Reply to
Adair Witner

In a nutshell, you need to work on an understanding of how IP works, the functional architecture of a WAP/bridge/router, and the config and troubleshooting of same.

Meaning how, on what basis, addresses are assigned to what, and how routing is done. Understanding of wireless part a plus.

Then it's straightforward. Now it seems to be black-magic to you, unless you just want to hide all the details from us.

HTH, J

Reply to
barry

I don't really see it like that, he supplied the equipment that he was trying to use however he did not state any info about the network which is why i asked the question i did.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

On 17 Apr 2007 19:54:09 -0700, Paul Zitarelli wrote in :

I'm guessing you need a crossover cable to make a connection to a LAN port instead of the WAN (uplink) port.

Reply to
John Navas

If the socket goes to the lan port on his WRT then u got just as much access as if you were on his wireless. reset your BEFW11S4 to factory default and turn off the DHCP server and knock it up an IP if its the same as the WRT. Plug her into the wall via a LAN port and way u go.

Easy in theory....

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

IOW, it's never simply a matter of plugging cables. Where (logically) they're connected is important. That involves net config (IP specifically) and "where" on router. Routing config matters, too- "gateway" addressing.

IE, even if you've a bunch of ethernet connections switched together, (and

10/100 ports _generally_ automatically handle crossing-over), if they're on different subnets based on IP/mask, they won't talk.

Sounds like that's one problem, in addition to your wireless config.

PC Mag, among many others, have good book detailing various aspects of designing & implementing wired & wireless networks.

Still not heard anything re IP specifics.

J
Reply to
barry

Thanks to all for your responses, and I'm sorry if my initial post was lacking in information. Part of the problem is that my landlord is paranoid, so I have had trouble accessing his router to see where things are plugged in. When I have more information, I will send it along.

Reply to
Paul Zitarelli

After getting connected we should find out why he is so paranoid.... *smerk*

J.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Please don't change posting styles in a thread.

Reply to
George

More likely it sounds like he is cautious and clueless. It is his router so there is no reason you should be accessing it and surely he doesn't understand how insecure this arrangement is.

Reply to
George

George hath wroth:

Why not?

I don't have any problem reading mixed text in any direction.

Also, please don't over quote. It's somewhat irritating to slog through the mass of quoted text only to find your one line comment at the bottom.

Thanks

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

More so then first thought! What if it is intentional just to anoy you :o)

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

On Wed, 25 Apr 2007 12:16:43 +0100, "Forster Tuncurry" wrote in :

Then we just plonk you into our killfiles, and you lose out on whatever we might otherwise do to help you.

Reply to
John Navas

If you are trying to connect the LAN port of your router to the LAN port of his router, you will need a ethernet crossover cable.

That should take care of the physical layer.

If he's giving you access to the LAN side of his router, then he's probably already giving you access to his network, unless he his handing you the DMZ port.

Reply to
Bob Vaughan

Isn't it past your bed time?

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

On Sun, 29 Apr 2007 22:01:02 +0100, "Forster Tuncurry" wrote in :

I rest my case.

Reply to
John Navas

And a fine one it was! .. ..No really... Any updates on the real topic?

Joe.

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

We could have your myspace and im accounts deleted and call your parents and have them give your Wii to another kid.

Reply to
George

Thats alot of witt and smarts are you exausted?

Reply to
Forster Tuncurry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.