Two Wireless Routers

A while back I posted a message asking help to basically set up two wireless routers and connect them using a music bridge. Well it worked for a day or so then it dropped which I know im not connecting it properly.

Here is what I did.

Router 1 (Main One)--192.168.1.1 is connected to the dsl line

Music Bridge which is 192.168.1.3 this gets the signal from Router

1..This is set up in another room entirely. I then connect this bridge to Router 2

Router 2.--192.168.1.2--this is connected to the bridge. Now I changed the IP to 192.168.1.2 which someone advised me to do. Now I first connect the cable to the (WAN) input to get an ip address, then have to switch it back to a normal LAN input.

Now I can ping the entire network when its connected into the LAN input but doesnt access the internet. Ok my questions are do I need to change or setup anything on my router 1? Do I disable NAT?

Any help would be great.

Reply to
queequeeg78
Loading thread data ...

I assume the WAN side of Router 1 is configured correctly, so I won't spend any time there. The LAN side (192.168.1.1) has DHCP enabled, right? Router 1 will be in charge of handing out IP's to other devices on the LAN.

I skimmed through the Quick Setup guide for the Linksys WMB54G to see an example of a music bridge, and I see no possible way of using such a device in the way you describe. Please provide Make and Model of your music bridge.

That IP address is fine. In addition, you should have disabled DHCP on Router 2 and put a piece of tape over the WAN port so you don't stick a cable into it accidentally. Kidding about the tape, but serious about not using the WAN port. You want Router 2 to be an Access Point.

If your devices can't get an IP address by connecting to a LAN port on Router 2, it's a good sign that Router 2 isn't connected to Router 1. The fact that your devices can't access the Internet via Router 2 further confirms that Router 2 has no connection to Router 1. Fix that first, then use the link above to make sure Router 2 is configured as an Access Point, and you should just about be set.

If you get rid of the music bridge, (highly recommended), what are your options for connecting Router 2 to Router 1? Ethernet cable is best, but wireless could work if your situation allows it. Wireless would require a Wireless Client Bridge, or a device that can be configured as such. Powerline networking could be another option.

Reply to
Char Jackson

i wondered about that .2 address when i saw it, and whats a music bridge? (only thing I can see from an online search that is wireless related is a linksys WMB54G) at any rate, i try to set things not to have conflicting ip addresses (wap router has 4 ports, so i try not to use .1.2.3 or .4, and change the starting address for the wireless part #1 100 for 50, #2 200 for 50, leave the dhcp on since they are different address ranges) and set the gateway of the second to point at the first (seems to like 192.168.1.1)...

as for your q about changing something... seems to me that since it's not working you may want to change something..... :)

Reply to
Peter Pan

I came to the same conclusion, and if it's indeed a WMB54G then it won't work like he's trying to use it.

I think it's better to limit the number of DHCP servers on a LAN to exactly one.

If it gets configured as an Access Point rather than a router, which would be more appropriate, then no gateway is required.

Agreed. :)

Reply to
Char Jackson

That's what I kept hearing, but if you have different address ranges for them, and aren't trying to do seemless roaming, why should it matter?

Reply to
Peter Pan

Please post the make and model numbers of the units.

If I follow correctly, Router 1 is making your ISP connection. The "music bridge" is making a wireless connection to it. Router 2 is connected to this bridge. Is that basically correct?

This is where make/model of the routers is important to know about. Some can do things better than others, if at all.

Ask questions while providing better details otherwise you're not going to get effective answers.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

It's just messier and prone to configuration errors. On a LAN with a single subnet, I see no benefit and only unnecessary complexity if running more than one DHCP server. I don't think anyone would consider it to be best practice.

Reply to
Char Jackson

interesting that you said a "single subnet".... I have 3 wap routers two on the same subnet but with different ssid's (PP-Private and PP-N) and the 3rd (PP-Public) on another subnet/gateway set to first so it gets internet but can't see the stuff on private or n (guests and Tivos)... DHCP server on, can't imagine how to do it with only one... oh well, it works for me, and if I die, it will be someone elses problem....

Point is, I worry more about using the same ip address, than using the same subnet....ergo, i try not to use the .1-.4 on the router part, or repeat the same wireless range on the wireless part, had troubles with the same ip address being used, worked until somone else connected/glommed on and then screwed me up, until i changed the starting ip address so i didn't have multiple .1's thru .4's... sounded similar to what the op was describing (i was experiencing loss of internet until I rebooted the wap/router)

Reply to
Peter Pan

Well, DHCP works on a single subnet. You can't use a DHCP server on subnet A to assign IP addresses to devices on subnet B.

Of the two on the same subnet, I would have left one configured as a wireless router (your LAN's gateway) and the second configured as an access point, (no DHCP, WAN port not used, etc.).

I guess if it works and you're happy, it's all good.

I didn't follow any of that, sorry.

Reply to
Char Jackson

Technically, yes a single router can. It'd have to be configured to accept DHCP forwarding and, presumably, offer addresses accordingly. This is how large enterprises can avoid having multiple DHCP servers. Each router on a subnet is configured to forward any DHCP requests to a specific DHCP server. That server usually returns an address based on the router/subnet that sent it.

Agreed.

Yeah, me neither.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.