Travel Routers away from home connectivity

Hi all,

I have a Linksys WRT54GC and I am at a hotel where there is wireless but it is weak. I'd like to use this in my room to attempt to get a more reliable signal. The hotel only has wireless, no option for connecting this to a LAN. There are no "sign in" pages or anything for the wireless, it's 100% open and unsecured. (Wheeeeeee...)

I set it up at home before leaving and once I changed my primary routers' default IP, I was able to connect to my new travel router and see it and use the internet no problemo. In this hotel, I have been able to connect to my travel router and the web config utility but have no internet connection. Everything times out. I can reselect the hotel wireless and get internet immediately. I've reset my router's settings back to factory default to remove the security I set up in case that had something to do with it but it didn't help.

I'm sure I'm just missing something really simple... but I cannot figure out how to get it working here.

Help please! Thanks Jen

Here are the specs for the wireless router that I am connecting to at the hotel... combo of info from wireless config utility and ipconfig /ALL. IP 192.168.1.54 Subnet 255.255.255.0 Default Gateway 192.168.1.1 DHCP server 192.168.1.1 DNS Servers 209.244.0.3, 209.244.0.4, 4.2.2.2 Adapter MAC address 00:18:DE:29:5F:E8 Channel 1 Access Point MAC address 00:20:A6:57:30:BA

Reply to
JMK
Loading thread data ...

Get as dial-up connection with an ISP like Earthlink, connect your computer to the phone line and be done with it, like I am doing now in a hotel. It has wireless too and I use the wireless from time to time, bit I am on dial-up most of the time, reasonable speed, without downloading.

Reply to
Mr. Arnold6

On 4 Dec 2006 15:02:45 -0800, "JMK" wrote in :

You need either (a) "wireless Ethernet (client) bridge" wired to your computer, or (b) wireless repeater (WDS), but that tends to be problematic when mixing brands. The WRT54GC is intended to work with a wired Ethernet connection, so it's not suitable for your needs. Your best bet may be a better antenna on your wireless adapter.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.