throughput and qos

I'm trying to test throughput on voip and video on 802.16n and was looking for some advice on how to test this and measure throughput and QOS, etc... on a private LAN. And what hardware would be best to test these things.

Can anyone offer advice on equipment and software to accurately test different compression methods and throughput? Would wireshark work? My os's are linux.

Reply to
William
Loading thread data ...

802.16n (WiMax MIMO) does not really exist. Neither has anything to do with QoS. Wanna check your typing and kindly disclose exactly what you're working with?

For simple benchmarking, see IPerf:

Setup a PC as an IPerf server connected to the base station and run: iperf -s Setup a wireless client and run: iperf -c IP_address_of_server You should get some performance numbers. Lots of other options and tweaks to play with. See the docs.

IPerf will run on Linux.

Wireshark/Ethereal is a protocol analyzer, not a benchmarking program. Don't bother.

There are also commercial software benchmarking tools:

and testing hardware:

This might be of interest:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Sorry, yeah, 802.11n I meant.

Reply to
William

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.