SMC router WEP setup

Hi, Just wondering if anyone else has the SMC Barricade SMCWBR14-G2 router. I'm trying to set up the basic WEP encryption, and have been running into much confusion trying to create a WEP Key. I put my info into the "passphrase" box, but can never find what key is created by that action. Are things suppose to be so confusing, or is this a job security thingy for Network professionals :-) Ha ha. I have been able to set up my router to only permit my Dell laptop MAC address to be allowed, so I am not a total dummy. Maybe there is a Website somewhere that could help, because the SMC website, and the CD help, are totally useless.

Thanks, Dan

Reply to
Daniel
Loading thread data ...

Don't use WEP use WPA.

Adair

Reply to
Adair Witner

I just worked on a SMC - not sure of the model number. Leave the passphrase area blank. Under the passphrase section you will see a place to enter key 1, key 2 etc. You can enter a key of your own choosing in that section. It is confusing because they are separated into groups of

2 characters and you can't see what you have typed. just start on the left side and enter your key.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Yes, I have seen those boxes for key 1, key 2 up to key 4. Only thing is, all the boxes have some type of passwords in them listed as ************. Guess I will have to play around some more. Oh.... I have been accessing my router settings through my desk top computer that is hardwired to my router. Should I be trying to set up the WEP (or WPA) through my wireless connection on my laptop? That thought came to me the other day after I posting my first question.

Dan

Reply to
Daniel

I would use the wired connection. I don't recall exactly but I think I just put the curser in the boxes and typed over them or backspaced them all out first and as I typed it moved from box to box. I also have a vague memory that I had trouble with hex and entered ascii instead.

Ian

Reply to
Ian

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.