Showing IP address

Bored and let unused icon cleaner clean desktop.

Had a command or program that placed a shortcut on desktop that would show your IP address and all other details for networking.

I've forgotten it, can't find it in my XP tips file, so hoping someone would be kind enough to help me out.

I can do ipconfig for XP but this was something like winipcfg for W98 that would give a neat little window.

Thanks in advance. Mark

Reply to
pheasant
Loading thread data ...

Click on the Windows Start button, select Run and type winipcfg.

"pheasant" skrev i melding news:edqdnZScjtBROBrbnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@midco.net...

Reply to
Chesslib

Not something I use, but this might be it:

formatting link

Reply to
DanG

Never mind. Found it. From the Windows 2000 Resource kit at Microsoft's website. wntipconfig.exe

Reply to
pheasant

or a shortcut with commandline ""cmd /c "ipconfig & pause""

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Mark McIntyre hath wroth:

Bah. ipconfig is for wimps. Real command line junkies (like me) use netsh. Try:

Start -> run -> cmd netsh interface ip show netsh interface ip show address netsh interface ip show dns

There's a bunch of goodies that Vista added to netsh including wireless diagnostics. See Section 5:

netsh wlan show netsh wlan show all netsh wlan show networks MODE=BSSID

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

You might even make the command line cmd /c ipconfig | find "IP" & pause which would display just the IP address(es).

Someone in the lab like some download, maybe from sysinternals, that would paint a bunch of useful stuff as background wallpaper, but it was static. If you didn't run it after a change, the display would be misleading.

Some wireless config tools have a systray icon that exposes the IP address if you hover the cursor over the icon.

Reply to
dold

That might only be helpful for static addresses.

"show address - Displays IP address configuration."

"Configuration for interface "AR5211-WiFi" DHCP enabled: Yes InterfaceMetric: 0"

No address is exposed.

Reply to
dold

.... oops - that means you're running with local admin rights. Yikes.

:-)

Pardon me, but thats an oxymoron.....

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

yes, thats nice. Would be good to be able to filter out the IPV6 addys tho, hm, ifconfig | grep IP | grep -v "::" agh, need awk...

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

grep? awk? That doesn't sound like standard Windows to me.

Reply to
dold

no sh*t sherlock ? :-)

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.