PSA Android 11+ mirroring over Wi-Fi "wireless debugging" developer option

This is a PSA for those who mirror their phone onto Windows each day that there is a wonderfully convenient new TILE for Wireless debugging.

formatting link
Android Wireless-debugging tile

That new Wireless-Debugging tile replaces this sequence of commands: Settings > Developer options > Wireless debugging = on

But a lot of things turn that 'Wireless debugging' switch off on you!

formatting link
Boot turns W/L debug off

It's not easy to find that new TILE though, where I found it here. Settings > Developer options > Quick settings developer tiles Wireless debugging = on

Which gets automatically turned off whenever your Wi-Fi is turned off (so you're constantly turning it back on if you have Wi-Fi not set to turn on automatically & if auto-reconnect is also off for privacy reasons).

formatting link
Allow wireless debugging

In summary, this new "developer options tile" for 'wireless debugging" is a great time saver as it's required to mirror Android over Wi-Fi without USB.

formatting link
ScrCpy vs Vysor PC mirror

Reply to
Andy Burnelli
Loading thread data ...

Didn't know any of those developer tiles existed, actually.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You know more than most people (certainly more than I do) about Android, so that makes me feel good I was able to "pay you back" a bit for the help you've always kindly offered.

Hence, it's good to know that you found that PSA information useful, as I suspect almost nobody knows these new developer tiles even exist. Sync Show layout bounds Profile HWUI rendering Force RTL layout direction Windows animation scale Windscope trace Sensors Off Wireless debugging Show taps BTW, I don't know what most of those do, but I only needed the one tile. :)

To be sure, I'm well aware many people have _looked_ (almost always, if not always in vain) for a way to create desktop shortcuts to the various & sundry settings that sit inside Android 'Developer options'.

I, myself, have tried to figure them out using the shortcut inspector:

formatting link
And then a bunch of tools for Intents to create the shortcut.
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

But while all worked fine for "normal" settings, they didn't work at all for me to step into the developer options settings.

Even running adb from Windows over Wi-Fi to the Android phone on the LAN would bring up almost anything in Settings _except_ Developer options settings. C:\> adb shell am start -n com.google.android.gms/.ads.settings.AdsSettingsActivity

I was so happy when I finally found there were secret hidden TILES for some Developer options, that I wanted others to benefit from this information.

It's especially useful to those who interact with their Android phone over Wi-Fi without _ever_ connecting it to a USB cable (e.g., for mirroring).

BTW, a very useful command when using Android on adb over Wi-Fi is this: C:\> netstat -ano -p tcp | findstr "192.168.0.2"

My use model using Windows scrcpy without a console requires knowing the port, which you can easily get from Android Developer options Wireless debugging; but you can _also_ get the random port being used from that Windows command! *Is there a way to put a command window in the background like Linux does (so that you can kill it)?*

formatting link

Reply to
Andy Burnelli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.