Router wireless mystery

Yesterday our suburb had a 20 min power outage. I have a DLink DIR 615 Router, with 3 PCs using the Ethernet cable ports, and, 2 laptops, an iPAD and iPOD using the Wireless access.

Following the power outage the laptops could not access the LAN/Internet, as, I found out the router had reset itself to Wireless default, so that the password access/security was different to that "remembered" by the laptops. Reset of the security and password solved the problem, however, my query to any Wireless gurus, is that the iPAD and iPOD could still access the Internet when the laptops could not. Is it something to with the LAN ? PCs are 2 x WinXP and 1 x Win98SE

2 Laptops with Win7 Home (Or does Apple do things differently?) :-)
Reply to
Sunny
Loading thread data ...

LAN access would not be affected by Wireless settings, should work with just router defaults.

Reply to
John Navas

The laptops (Win7) could not access the LAN, The router had reverted to "Auto assign a "key" when I reset it to "Manually assign a Key" the LAN PCs magically appeared back in the network details.

Reply to
Sunny

You'll need to provide more detail for me to make sense of it. Sorry.

Reply to
John Navas

Are you sure the wireless default is not an open network not requiring a password? Or else you once had the iPod on the default setting and the iPod remembered the default password.

Reply to
Charles

This is normal. If your DIR615 had the same SSID after you recovered from the reset, the saved settings in the iPad and iPod Touch would have tried to login with a pass-phrase from the previous setup, and failed. Once you setup the encryption pass phrase to be the same as before, it worked as expected.

If you want to avoid this nonsense, when anything changes in the router wireless config, you'll need to delete the saved settings for that particular SSID in the iPad/iPod/iPhone wireless settings. This is especially important if you change the WPA2 pass phrase, as all of these will continue to attempt to use the old pass phrase until the entire record is deleted. Swipe to the right on the SSID and the red "delete this entry" dialog will appear. Be sure to thank Apple for making pass phrase changes an ordeal.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Thanks, yes the router still had the same SSID, but the pass phrase had changed, so the laptops failed with the message "The access code stored does not match the required code" (or words to that effect) :-)

Reply to
Sunny

For *you* to make sense of it, the entire written word of all humanity throughout the ages would not be enough.

Reply to
George Kerby

If you router has a backup-config utility, use it. You can restore all your settings in a couple of minutes. Save you a lot of headaches. Just press the reset button, enter with the default admin-name/password and restore. (don't know about the dir615. My Netgear saves it's config to disk, if asked) []'s

Reply to
Shadow

Thanks, Seems like when the power came back on the Cable Modem and Router would have re-booted together, (Instead of the recommended "Wait until Cable Modem is active before powering up the Router."

Never had a problem turning off/on the router only.

Reply to
Sunny

try rebooting/restarting the laptops (not close lid and hibernate) (new ip addys are sometimes given out when a router restarts)

as for difference, yup (apple does things differently) (my ipod and linux laptops works fine after a power outage, while my windows laptops are ummmm recalcitrant?)

summers here, storm time, expect power gliches now and then... figger it out now... (you can alway try the unplug the router from the wall to simulate a power failure)

Reply to
Peter Pan

For Windoze laptops, it's usually WOL (wake on LAN) and ACPI that causes problems. Two things to do.

1. Disable it in the BIOS.
  2. Control Panel -> Network Adapters -> Find your wireless or ethernet adapter -> Advanced -> Wake from Shutdown -> Change to No
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Tried that, at the time and they still would not connect to the WiFi LAN

Have done that many times, when leaving the house for a few days, and the router "retains it's settings. Seems like the router powering up, before the cable modem had re-established itself with the ISP may have caused the router to have a hizzy fit :-)

Re-setting the router to WPA (manual) and re-entering the LAN password solved the glitch.

Reply to
Sunny

Did the default no access password? Otherwise, I can't see how they could possibly connect.

Steve

Reply to
Steven Fisher

Well, the iPAD did, I thought that it had something to do with my LAN, as the iPAD and iPOD are not able to "see" anything to do with the LAN, just use the wireless capability of the Router. The two Netbooks could not connect (using wireless) to the LAN or Internet. As I originally stated - a mystery :-)

Reply to
Sunny

cuz they aren't windows machines/clients.... they just care that something is at a specif ip addy... some linux devices will do that too

Reply to
Peter Pan

not sure why you wonder, not a mystery at all.. wired and most apple (and some linux) just look for the internet at a certain ip address, just the wireless windows clients have to exchage/handshake to get thru... thats exactly the way its supposed to work, would be a mystery if it didnt...

Reply to
Peter Pan

OS actually doesn't matter -- if configured the same way, they all work the same way -- networking standards are independent of OS.

Reply to
John Navas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.