Roomate Hogging all of the Bandwidth

hey, my roomate runs 10 billion torrents at one time, :eek:, yes i know, crazy isn't it... i was wondering if there was any way to limit his bandwidth. i tried some stuff but they don't work, so i need some suggestions, lots of them :D the most important thing i want is that he doesn't lag the online games i play: :D the router i have is a Linksys WRT54G Wireless-G Broadband Router

thanks

------------------------------------------------------------------------ View this thread:

formatting link

Reply to
don0223
Loading thread data ...

don0223 hath wroth:

Which hardware version of the WRT54G? If it's v1 thru v4, then you can install DD-WRT or OpenWRT firmware which include QoS (quality of service) bandwidth management features.

Note that it can be simultaneously used to throttle your roommates traffic and be optimized for gaming.

However, if your hardware revision is v5-v8, forget it. There's not enough RAM inside to do anything beyond the basic router functions.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Is there some reason you won't identify the mysterious "stuff" that doesn't work?

Reply to
George

The micro version of DDWRT includes QoS and runs on Linksys V5 and higher.

Reply to
jch

I am running DD-WRT v23 SP3 (07/21/07) micro, (SVN revision 7509) in a WRT54GS v5. It does have QoS, I do have it turned on though I don't have a roommate to stress test it. I don't have WiFi turned on, so I don't know how well that works. Average, I suppose.

Before I scrounged up a spare GS, I had a plain v5 which locked up and had to be power cycled fairly often, usually during bittorrents. Sorry, I don't remember the exact version of DD-WRT. Something 6 to 12 months older.

Reply to
Philip Nelson

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.