Red light on WRE54G Linksys Range Extender?

Put a few of these in and I see that one always has a red light for the top light but works fine (checked it with a signal strength meter)

Mine at home changes now and then to a red light but appears to work.

Have upgraded to latest firmware for both the Range Extender and the WRT54GS Router with SpeedBooster.

Can ping or access the web interface even if the light is red and it still puts out a string signal while red.

Linksys told me to take back the unit if it has a red light.

Would like others opinions.....

Thanks, Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas
Loading thread data ...

I took the only one I bought back. I could never get it to work well. I'm going to implement multiple WRT54G models with the Sveasoft firmware in a Mesh.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Scales

We also had this problem. The configuration of 2 WRE54G and one WRT54GS

worked fine but the WRE54G's had a red light all the time and also the

cd-wizard setup of the WRE54G's would not work ending with a message

that the wizard would not be possible with the WRE54G in repeater

mode....

Then we upgraded the WRE54G's to the latest firmware and both show 2

blue leds now and also the wizard works.

The range of the WRT54GS is amazing compared to the standard Starbridge

AP we had. But the range of the WRE54G's is even better than the

WRT54GS!!!! Using just standard antenna's!

Florisz

Reply to
Florisz

Can you run WPA encryption on the WRE54Gs? Don't they drag the speed of the WRT54Gs down?

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Not running any encryption but you can if you want. Not sure if it affects speed. Patty

Reply to
pattyjamas

We are also not using any encryption, but the setup allows you to use WEP or WPA. It only says that it is not possible to use the automatic config. when encryption is on. But you really don't need the automatic config.

Florisz

Reply to
Florisz

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.