Radius or captive portal?

Hi, I would like to protect my home wifi network by using a captive portal or a radius server to enable WPA on my access point. Any hint? What is the easier software to use? I found zeroshell at

formatting link
/eng/download that is a livecd with radius and captive portal already integrated but I think It's too complex for me. Bye Peter Elen

Reply to
nick
Loading thread data ...

Are you looking for a learning exercise or just a means to tie down your AP?

If the latter, doesn't your AP have WPA-PSK? WPA-PSK doesn't use a radius server, but is perfectly fine for the home.

My AP's also support WPA-EAP (Radius), but I'm just using WPA-PSK (AES). One of these days I planned on messing around with it just for the hell of it, but I see no need for it in a home environment...

CP's are (generally) just used to manage, control, and filter open AP's..

You'd be fine with WPA-PSK. I'd be more concerned about WAN traffic. Use a decent firewall...

Reply to
Eric

I know that wpa-psk is very easy to use but I prefer an username and password authentication with e server that logs the accesses. I don't thik an AP is able to do it.

Reply to
nick

Gotcha.

Take a look at ZoneCD, if you haven't already...

formatting link
I'm using it myself for an open AP, but it should have all the features you are looking for. Its also very easy and straightforward...

ZoneCD behind a WPA-PSK AP would be much easier than Radius...

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.