WiFi/GPS Recorder

Does anyone know of an easy tool that will record GPS coordinates for areas where there are WiFi signals? What I am looking for is something that allows configuration based on simple rules. Like "If the signal is > 3 bars and it is an unsecure AP, record the GPS coordinates and the SSID."

I know there is a wardriver project. However, I am a medium level technologists, which is to say that I am an old-school programmer who has transitioned into executive management. This means that I have about a million responsibilities on my plate and can't pursue very many frivolous diversions such as coding the things I want anymore. So, I would research and write this thing but I just don't have time. The tool I am seaking would be a simple, Windows installable that has a few SaF parameters so that all I have to do is turn on my GPS unit and laptop in the car- something I do everyday anyway- and have it capture info as I drive around town.

Reply to
seven_percent
Loading thread data ...

Check out a program called wififofum it's public domain (free) (URL redirected from

formatting link

Reply to
Peter Pan

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 10:17:02 -0400, "Peter Pan" wrote in :

Remind me never to drive in your area.

Reply to
John Navas

"seven_percent" hath wroth:

Netstumbler, Kismet, and anything claiming to be a "site survey" tool.

That's not configuration. That's programming. Netstumbler and Kismet will product log files that can be analyzed by a report generator.

However, if post processing is not acceptable, then Netstumbler 0.4 has scripting, which can be used to create the rule set:

formatting link

I'm sorry. Permit me to offer my sincere condolences. Managers have no time for fun.

Frivolous? Are you really suggesting that war driving is frivolous? I you read the various war driving blogs and mailing lists, you'll find numerous people who are trying to turn war driving into a sport. It's almost like lock picking as a sport in some European countries. Perhaps war driving in the Olympics in a few years.

I wouldn't worry much about doing coding or programming. This is called scripting, which looks, smells, acts, and closely resembles programming, but is allegedly easier.

Not a problem. There's always time enough to do it over again correctly after you screw it up from inadequate preliminary research. You're on your way to being featured in a Dilbert cartoon strip.

formatting link
(Linux)
formatting link
($50)

For Kismet, I suggest you download and obtain a LiveCD distribution with Kismet included. Boot the LiveCD. No need to reformat or dual boot the hard disk. I suggest:

formatting link
sure that you wireless card is supported:
formatting link
I think Netstumbler plus some scripting is probably adequate if all you want to find are access points. However, Netstumbler will not identify access points that do not broadcast their SSID and that do not respond to more than a few probe request. Also, it will not see clients and bridges. Kismet will see all these but is far more complex to implement.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

I was trying to recall where I'd seen that before:

formatting link
shifter in the middle of the steering wheel on the 1958 Ford Edsel. Ah, nostalgia.

How well does the wi-fi antenna pickup signals with the PDA spining round and round? I get car sick while reading in a vehicle. Reading the PDA screen while spinning should really recycle my lunch.

But ossiffer, I'm not drunk. I was just trying to read my steering wheel mounted PDA and just became a bit dizzy.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Pda works fine on the wheel, and wififofum chirps when it finds a new AP, so a quick glance down at the scope display (don't use the text one, info is logged, I only want to see the blip on the screen when it chirps, and since the screen blip is sort of directional, I know whether to turn right/left).. Sounds silly, but hey, I already had the PDA and only cost me 29 cents for the self stick velcro squares to stick it on the wheel)...

Reply to
Peter Pan

Some digitial cameras are capable of being used as webcams and some are not. You will need to check the specs. You will also need to find 3rd party software that will work with it - not always easy. If your camera is capable of s video or video composite output. You may also be able to turn it into a webcam using a tv card and streaming software. Digital cameras usually have better image quality than your average webcam, but using them as webcams drains the batteries very fast, so you will need an ac adapter.

Reply to
Gregory Johnston

Thanks, Jeff. All very useful suggestions. I am well aware of the diff between scripting and programming. Scripting is an easier pill to swallow, for sure.

What are you talking about??? I _AM_ Dilbert!!! I am "a straight shooter with upper management written all over him."

Cheers.

Reply to
seven_percent

NetStumbler will also export text files that can be loaded into some other tool, like Excel, where data can be sorted, filtered and charted.

One of the exports only includes the highest SENOR for a particular WAP, where the other holds all readings.

The summary text can be transformed by gpsbabel into a gpx file for display in Google Earth, or files for other mapping programs.

Reply to
dold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.