questions on linksys webinterface options

Hello.

I have 3 options in the webinterface, that i cant find any help to.

Does anyone know what the options do

1: Filter multicast 2: Filter internet nat redirection 3: Filter IDENT (PORT 113)

All 3 have enabled or disabled

Thanks Regards Brian.

Reply to
Brian Kals
Loading thread data ...

What model Linksys do you have?

Filter means "block" in Linksys-speak.

Multicast is 224.xxx.xxx.xxx thru 239.xxx.xxx.xxx. These allow for highly efficient distribution of duplaced data (like streaming video) to multiple recipients by sending the data simultaneously to each recipient, rather than using unicast packets to feed each user individually. If you do NOT want such traffic, enable the filter.

That's a wierd one. Linksys claims that it: (...) disables local LAN users from accessing port forwarded services in the router. whatever that means. That makes no sense. When I last tinkered with it on a BEFSR41 router, it seemed to prevent accepting WAN packets that pretend to be from the LAN side. However, I'm not sure and didn't do much testing. Probably a good idea to have it on.

IDENT is a very old and crude method of authenticating a system. It also has some nasty security problems. Some mail servers seem to require that IDENT is running even though it apparently ignores whatever is returned. If your mail provider does not require IDENT, I would block, er... filter it.

Well, they're either enabled or disabled, as both and neigher are not valid options.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

There used to be a good one at

formatting link
however, in the past few weeks, it is now redirected to a german site drabo something (and I don't read german :( )

Reply to
Peter Pan

I have one of those in front of me.

formatting link

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi Jeff.

Thanks for clearing up the options. Its a BEFW11S4 V4.

Do you or others here know a good official/unofficial Linksys forum for wireless? One told me about a very good unofficial forum, but forgot the link to it.

Regards Brian

Reply to
Brian Kals

Mine hangs about once per week. That's why I have it. I replaced it for a customer. The problem is that the router can be hung from the internet side with various exploits. Run:

formatting link
see for yourself. Targa3 hangs my BEFW11S4 v4 quite nicely as does one other (I forgot which).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hi.

Thanks for the replys and link to the forums.

I see alot of others have luckup problems with there linksys BEFW11S4 too, but cant seem to find any solution to the problem. I even see one guy called linksys, and they could not help.

This is realy sad, i got a few of those AP, ready to go into the trashbin unless i find a solution.

Regards Brian.

Reply to
Brian Kals

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.