Protocol Analyzer (aka Sniffer) Guide

Is there a sniffer guide for dummies? I finally got ethereal and airsnark working but I need to learn more about how to write filters; know which protocols are important. Airsnark appears to be listing my own MAC as an intruder, why is that,- can't it tell which mac is mine and not tell me I am intruding on my own system? Other intruders I think are my shared router. There is an option "to watch" a mac, not sure what that does. One problem I encountered is that these programs have to be run with admin privileges and if you do not set ethereal to the proper adapter at the beginning, airsnare will lock up your system if it cannot open some other adapter. I am a novice at networking protocols and networking in general but I don't want to spend a year learning it, so is there is a quick guide to it understandably written for someone who is not an IT graduate? This is on a stand alone machine, shared guest wifi account so I do not have to worry about a personal network (I think!) I want to see what's going on, if there are privacy leaks,and so forth. Also I want to see what info is being sent plain text (any website passwords or other sensitive data). This is on a windoze xp older laptop

1.5 ghz, 2gb ram so it's not real powerful-when I load mozilla and close it, takes a few moment for screen to refresh back to airsnare for example.
Reply to
Dave U. Random
Loading thread data ...

If you can load wireshark, it is filters for the traffic.

A good operating system won't let just anyone sniff packets. I'm pretty sure opensuse requires root/admin permission to run wireshark. [Suse tends to run at a bit higher security than morst distributions.]

Watching a mac is not going to be very useful since you don't know the mac of the intruder.

It is airsnare, not airsnark. ;-)

Your problem is the vast majority of penetration users are on linux. I'm sure there are windows penetration testing tools, but backtrack linux is the gold standard. If I hired a network security analyst and he/she showed up running windows anything, I'd kick them out the door.

I have no idea how airsnare works, but with Kismet, you need to park the sniffer on the channel you are using if you want to sniff ALL your wifi traffic. Most wifi sniffing tools will cycle through all the channels.

It isn't clear to me what you are doing, but to test wifi network penetration, you need to only access the network via wifi. This is really going to take two computers, or at least two wifi clients. You could access your wifi with a cellphone, but then sniff it with a computer using a wifi adapter.

Again, I have no idea how this is done on windows, but with linux, you run kismet, park on the channel you want to monitor, then sniff the packets on what is generally wlan0.

Step number one is to pretend you are some hacker wearing a Guy Fawkes mask. And I assure you, they are not running windows.

Reply to
miso

Is it really that hard to stick 10 (plus built-in wifi, adjusted for whatever number of channels are legal in your country) USB wifi dongles onto a system and sniff everything at once?

Elijah

------ thinking, no, it is not hard at all, but hasn't tried

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

Ethereal died sometime back in the win98's. It's called Wireshark now. Wireshark has an online users guide, so you can learn the filters easily.

formatting link

User guide in pdf on the page

You might look into aircrack-ng. Can be used for cracking, but most useful for sniffing, like a kismet without the gui. But you would probably need Linux for that.

formatting link

[]'s
Reply to
Shadow

Well it would cost about $250 for that many devices. ;-) Otherwise Kismet can use more than one wifi device. I have no idea what the upper limit is since I never ran more than two.

Nobody really war drives these days, though I have done so in remote areas to learn where to er um eh borrow wifi. I had considered running two dongles with a high gain antenna on each dongle, then point them out of the drivers side and passenger side of the car.

But to sniff yourself, you just park kismet on the channel you are using.

In the boonies, you often find some point to point wifi links. Besides the WISP vendors, there is the "internet of things." A lot of telemetry for radio sites, trains, weather, etc. goes over wifi. Given the nature of wifi security, one assume nothing critical goes over it.

Reply to
miso

you seem to be confusing sniffing a RADIO link - ala WiFi - with the resulting ETHERNET traffic - ala web pages, plain text, etc.

If I want to see what's going around my "network", I just park a monitor on the Ethernet side... which has it's own challenges what with "switch" vs "hub" ports trying to gain access to all traffic on a network segment.

Reply to
ps56k

But as I pointed out, and perhaps not too clearly, you want to sniff the wifi packets, not the ethernet. That is, you want to see what the hacker would see. This requires two computers as far as I know. One computer being your regular client. The other computer has the wifi packet sniffer.

Reply to
miso

I don't see why it would, if you're specifically interested in just one machine: do the sniffing on that one machine.

alexd

Reply to
alexd

It it help if I could draw a diagram, but hey, this is usenet.

If you use one machine, you are on the lan side. Yeah, you could run wireshark with filters. I rather have a second sniffer and look at the wifi packets independent of what is going on my lan. Further, you can detect spoofing of wifi clients if the signal strength is fluttering. Kismet has an IDS mode built in, but I haven't use it, so I can only generally how it works.

There are hacks to set up Kismet drones on routers, but they look like work. I think an old PC or even a Beagleboard would be the way to go. I've compiled Kismet, so going Arm shouldn't be an issue if the repository doesn't have Kismet.

Reply to
miso

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.