Problems with connecting to the wireless network

Hi all,

I'm experiencing troubles with connecting to the wireless network using my D-Link DWL-610 PCMCIA adapter. OS is Win XP Pro SP2. Wireless router is Linksys WRT54G. WPA-PSK is used and encryption protocol is AES. There is no MAC filtering or anything like this enabled on the router. Passphrase is correct, but still cannot connect to the network. Other users don't have any problems (but they don't use PCMCIA adapters). Previosly I used D-Link router and had no problems with WPA. If anyone can suggest what I can try to make it work - please reply.

Reply to
kotbegemoth
Loading thread data ...

Check the Linksys forums in case it's a known issue:

formatting link
There are a few similar problems there, here's one
formatting link

Dave

Reply to
dave xnet

First, turn off WPA at both ends, to see if everything works.

If so, you probably accidentally entered the wrong string at the PC end (a common mistake). You cannot always use the same passphrase at both ends, since there is no standard way to translate a passphrase into a passkey. The router should display its version of the passkey, so copy that into the PC's driver.

Reply to
Bob Willard

thanks, will try.

already tried that...

Reply to
kotbegemoth

one

formatting link

2 other users have no issue with connecting to the network so I assume the problem is at my end - but I double checked all the settings and couldn't find anything wrong...
Reply to
kotbegemoth

On 22 Mar 2007 17:05:13 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Can you connect with _all_ security turned off in the router? For troubleshooting, I recommend starting over with hard resetting the router to hardware defaults. Turn on security _after_ the wireless is working.

Reply to
John Navas

On 23 Mar 2007 05:32:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

Already tried what? Turning off _all_ security? What _exactly_ happens? Can you see the wireless SSID in WZC? Does it try to get a DHCP address? Does the PCMCIA adapter work in a public hotspot?

Reply to
John Navas

yes, I tried to turn off all security. What happens is Windows' dialog "connecting to network" appears and after some timeout disapeears. Yes, I can see SSID. No, it does not reach the point where it should get the IP address using DHCP. And yes, PCMCIA adapter works with other routers.

Reply to
kotbegemoth

On 23 Mar 2007 07:45:02 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

With a hard reset of the router to hardware defaults?

Unlikely to work with others but not this one _if_ all security is off and the router works with some other wireless client.

Do you have the latest firmware in the router, and the latest driver for the wireless adapter?

Reply to
John Navas

No. Will try to reset the router setting to default.

Yes, I have the latest firmware and the latest driver (latest in my case means year 2003)

Reply to
kotbegemoth

My suggestion:

With security set up as above, make sure the SSID is not hidden.

From the PC trying to connect to the WLAN, locate the SSID and click Connect.

You should be challenged for the passphrase: Enter it and hopefully it will connect.

Hide the SSID if desired.

gb

Reply to
Gaius Baltar

Where I can hide and unhide SSID? I tried the following: wireless network connection properties-

when tried to connect it asked for the key again (why? I already entered it), tried to connect and failed again.

Reply to
kotbegemoth

Yes! I just changed wireless mode on the router from .G-only to 'Mixed' and was able to connect!

Reply to
kotbegemoth

Go to the router setup. The Linksys is found at 192.168.1.1 from your router. The switch is on the wireless-basic wireless page.

Reply to
pen

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.