Problems with a new laptop

On 13 May 2007 13:15:58 -0700, NSM wrote in :

What I recommend is to start over with a hard reset of the wireless access point to factory defaults, keeping all security off until it's working..

So the laptop is working, and something is different about the two wireless networks. The trick is to figure out what that difference is.

Reply to
John Navas
Loading thread data ...

Tried looking at the IP-settings again. Are set to obtain IP automatically. Think i'll try downloading the Thinkpad package ..

Niels

Reply to
NSM

On 16 May 2007 06:06:23 -0700, NSM wrote in :

It may be how the wireless networks are configured (not the ThinkPad). For example, one of my clients has a wireless network that's configured for "G" only, so "B" clients aren't able to connect. Other possible issues include MAC filtering and key mismatch.

Reply to
John Navas

On May 16, 8:06 am, NSM wrote: Fixes>

If you have not already done it, then wait. First, we have not approached this right.

Not enough info listed, and then you say, "I tried everything" or "I checked all the settings" but who knows everything you tried or checked.

So, since the problem's being stubborn, let's start over and do it right.

Info to list here:

1) Exact router model/ Laptop model, OS 2) show IPconfig stats for working connection on your Topcom and for the laptop when it's not working. This is important.

Assuming Win XP: start>run>cmd>ipconfig/all>right-click "select all">Ctrl-C> go to this reply window>Ctrl-V> edit out personal info

Repeat this for both connections as requested and post.

Actions: What John said: " start over with a hard reset of the wireless access point to factory defaults, keeping all security off until it's working.. "

I'll add that you want to note your router settings for the ISP and, if possible, save the settings to a backup file from within the router management screens. Are you familiar with all this?

Later you might look for "Thinkvantage Software Installer" on your laptop and get Access Connections installed. It may not be the problem, so wait a bit...

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

You're absolutely right. I haven't actually posted all of the settings I've tried changing. I'm busy for the next couple of days, but if you have the patience, I'll post them later.

Thank all for your patience so far :-)

Reply to
NSM

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.