Powerline network adapters

I know this is not strictly wireless, but powerline adapters are alternatives to wireless for home networking.

I am buying an older large house. I am pretty sure that my single WRT54G will not cover this space reliably. Further, the house is not cat5 wired and I really do not want to do that. Buying range extenders seemed like a hit or miss affair and expensive from what I have read.

So I was thinking of using powerline adapters to network the house and adding access points in selected large spaces, such as the family room, upstairs or garage.

The question is whether this is a sound plan or not. I have had no experience with powerline adapters. Googling around also seems to yield limited strong recommendations. There appears to be a "some better than others" flavor of postings and a "make sure the store has a good return policy" flavor.

Surveying the crop of solutions at Fry's seems to yield these front runners base on price, performance and extendability.

Panasonic HD-PLC Netgear HDX101

Any comments on this would be very much appreciated.

Reply to
Philip
Loading thread data ...

The netgears work great (the faster ones 102/103/104,

formatting link

85 mbps not the way slow 101's, however a bit more per pair $135-$160), brick house, and internal cement block walls to support the sunken floors upstairs, blocks the signal inside, about $20 more for a pair of the faster ones (read the cnet review and there are purchase links at the end
formatting link
, have one linksys wrt54g on the cable modem, the router output part plugged to the bridge, and then a second linksys wrt54g upstairs in the dining area with the 2nd unit plugged ijnto the router part (don't use the wan input on the second), same ssid but a different channel, lets me roam with the laptops... For some strange reason however, my PDA doesn't work on the second one, but will on the first (notebooks work fine)..

Just to be fair/full disclosure, I love it, at home in MD just ran electric to a gazebo in the back yard and have another WAP in their (and a hammock so I can relax while surfing), and did the same at my vacation place in northern ID (underground power from the house to the garage about 500 ft from the house for the welder, both with steel snow roofs, 2nd wap in the garage)... Know you don't know me, but two enthusistic thumbs up - try em, you'll like em!

Reply to
Peter Pan

Hi, recently I bought a pair of Netgear XE103 (a pair of them comes as XE104) from Amazon. I just plugged one into the wall socket and then connected it to my router which is hooked to the cable modem and my main machine. In a detached building, I plugged in the other one near my laptop, and a CAT5 cable to the laptop and wala, I was running. File sharing and the internet worked great. Didn't install a thing.

But don't plug them into any power strip that has hash filters, it filters out the RF link real well. Good luck.

Philip wrote:

Reply to
rob

formatting link

formatting link

Thanks very much for the assurances, Peter.

Slightly OT but, I note that a Linksys WRT54G wireless router + 4 port bridge is $49 locally while a WAP54G access point (no nothing) is $59. Seems like buying another WRT54G and using it as an access point is the best deal.

Reply to
Philip

Yup, and a bonus is that if you have two (or 3 or 4 or... of the same), and one goes belly up, it makes it easy to diagnose/fix when they are all the same.... If you do use a second one with the powerline, think I mentioned same ssid/different channel, and forgot to mention the same subnet (if you want to share between devices on different routers), and use a router port rather than the wan in port...

You may be interested in these instead Powerline Wireless Access Points

formatting link
Same thing, plug one unit into the powerline and wap/router, and the other (the AP part) can be plugged in anywhere in the house for an extra AP (works with the PDA, however, only 54mbps and haven't figured out how to use multiples on the same subnet to have lots of ap's, nor how to use wpa2).... If you only need one more ap, then it is actually even a few bucks cheaper (about $10) to get that (link above) rather than a separate 102 and a wrt54g

Reply to
Peter Pan

formatting link

Yes I saw those, but sort of discounted them because, of cost-performance. They have the same price as the XE102's, but slower, and appear to support only two point, not multiple drops.

The built in access point is neat, but I'd rather have a good one with a standard antenna.

Reply to
Philip

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.