Point to Point WAN Link

Link budget for any WiFi is light. I'd go for the AP close to the antenna as i could get.

Reply to
NotMe
Loading thread data ...

I want to build a point to point WAN link using a WAP on 1 side and a computer with a wireless card on the other to act as a ethernet bridge. The link is approx. 750meters apart, however there is not alot of height difference, only about 0.15° on both sides. tan^-1(2meters/750meters and another problem is should i put an antenna on the roof and then run the coax cable all the way down to the server room or should I run the fiber to the roof and place the wireless eqipment there some how?

Thanks

Reply to
Yay Deutschland!

Keep coax cable runs short or your losses will kill the link. I don't understand your trigonometry by methinks if the coax run is any more than about 8 meters, you might as well go with PoE (power over ethernet) instead of fiber. The problem with using fiber is that you still have to supply power to the radio on the roof using copper wire. Also, since one side goes to a single computer, you might be able to save money by using a USB wireless adapter at that end. The limit is about 5 meters for USB cables, but extenders are possible (but expensive). If there's more than one computer at that end, never mind and get a real wireless bridge. If you want path calculations, supply some details, equipment selection, and cable lengths, and I'll run them for you. Also, what's your minimum acceptable thruput, which is usually limited by the broadband connection speed. See: |

formatting link
a sample calculation:

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

thanks for the link, i dertmined that the link is possible at my site. now i have a question about the cables. I went to the local electronics store, and they have SMA connectors (but no RP-SMA connectors) are there any differences, since my AP uses RP-SMA? Also I tried looking for LMR600 cable, which was unavailable here, and they suggested RG174 or RG58 instead, are these cable any good for wifi use?

"Jeff Liebermann" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

Reply to
Yay Deutschland!

Wrong on all accounts. Wrong connectors and wrong coax cable. Also, no numbers supplied to calculate the correct coax type. I still can't understand your trigonometry.

If you're going to build your own cables, you'll need a crimping tool. Don't bother trying to solder RF connectors unless you're prepared to ruin a small pile before you get something acceptable. You'll need tools for LMR-100, LMR-240, and LMR-400. You can get a tool that does all three. |

formatting link
(Under "Coax Tools") Well, that's not the one I was thinking of... The HT-301K does all 3 sizes |
formatting link
(and it's cheaper). However, it will not crimp LMR-600. You don't want to know the price of an LMR-600 crimper. Unless you have a very long run, I don't see you using LMR-600 or larger.

You'll also need a coax cable stripper. I do it with a pocket knife, but you'll again need considerable practice to get the spacing correct and not touch the conductors. The cable stripper is easier.

The proper connectors are made by RF-Industries. There are many sources for these which include RP-SMA. I get mine from Electrocom and Digikey. Lots of others.

For the larger LMR-400 cable, you'll probably need to use Type-N connectors and then use a pigtail to go from N to RP-SMA. If you try to do it with an adapter, you're sure to break off the RP-SMA connector.

Which size coax depends on the attenuation you're willing to tolerate which is a function of cable length and type. You've supplied no information by which this can be calculated, so I won't speculate as to which cable is best for your application. Unless you have a very short run (i.e.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.