Old Orinoco Gold... what software do I need?

Hi all,

I'm using an old Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card. I finally found the driver needed to make it work. Now it connects to the Access Point when the laptop is turned on and works fine.

The problem is that when I installed the driver, no other software was installed. I think now my computer considers it a simple network card and I have no way to change the wireless settings. The only way for me to change them, is to re-install the card's driver (during driver installation I'm prompted to select network, data encryption etc.). In addition, I cannot initiate an ad-hoc network like this...

I think there is a software like "Client Manager" or something like this... But I cannot find it and download it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nicolas

Reply to
tsokas
Loading thread data ...

Hi, I use Orinoco gold 11abg card as well on my Thinkpad. You can down load utility from their site(Proxim) or I use Thinkvantage Access control. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

With Windows XP-SP2, the built in driver works just fine. The latest Proxim drivers also work, but if you have wireless zero, the configuration is deferred to WinXP drivers, and the client manager has some options that just don't appear, or are grayed out, I forget which. I have an Orinoco Silver, but I think the drivers are the same.

Reply to
dold

That's now called a Proxim Orinoco Classic Gold 16 bit Client Card. These are good cards and well worth keeping.

Drivers are available for download from the Proxim web pile. Registration is required. When searching, try both "software" and "drivers" as they're apparently mixed.

See:

formatting link
If your card says "Agere" instead of Wavelan, Orinoco, Lucent, Avaya, or Proxim, you might wanna try these drivers:
formatting link
The software comes in two parts. There's the actual drivers for the card and a "client manager" that sets up the connection. You'll need both.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Tony, Clarence and Jeff

Thank you all so much for your help...

I'm going to try these "proxim" drivers right now...

Thanks again.

Nicolas

Reply to
tsokas

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.