New wireless PCMCIA card

I have a laptop with a Linksys WPC11v4 wireless b card in it (hand-me- down for my daughter), but the card was bent and no longer works. When it was working, the link would drop or be very low connecting to my Netgear WGR614v1 (b/g) router. The house is plaster/lathe, and I've tried a reflector, but the intermitant connection was not alleviated.

My work laptop has an Intel card built in and works much better.

My question is ... should I expect better range performance with a new card or is there something that I should specifically look for when buying the new card?

I've read that N will probably not provide me with any better performance in my g setup.

I was thinking about getting another Netgear card, since my router is Netgear, but did not see the dB ratings in the specifications for the cards that I've looked at online so far. There were a couple of Linksys cards listed at 18dB.

TIA, Dave

Reply to
tom_sawyer70
Loading thread data ...

On Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:14:56 -0800 (PST), "tom snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com" wrote in :

The difference is probably due to the antenna in the laptop, not the card.

To get the same performance in a PCMCIA card will be hard. Instead, I suggest the Hawking USB adapter with built-in dish antenna, which Dell sells for $50.

I would agree.

Reply to
John Navas

I'm using this one.

formatting link
The advantage is being able to move the antenna independently of the laptop.

Reply to
Mellowed

This card has worked awesome in all of my laptops: SENAO Wireless PCMCIA Card NL-2511CD PLUS EXT2 Long Range and external antenna ports.

Reply to
d_musicant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.