Firmware for PCMCIA cards?

Is there such a thing? Have several no-name, literally, wireless B cards that have realtek chipsets. Wondering if the firmware is upgradeable to get the newer security methods, bug fixes, whatever.

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird
Loading thread data ...

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:00:53 -0500, Airman Thunderbird wrote: : Is there such a thing? Have several no-name, literally, wireless B cards : that have realtek chipsets. Wondering if the firmware is upgradeable to : get the newer security methods, bug fixes, whatever.

I've never seen a Linksys card with upgradable firmware, but I believe that at least some Netgear cards have it. I'd be surprised if your old B cards had it or that it would make much difference if they did.

Reply to
Robert Coe

I have a wireless PC Card (with the copper strip, 802.11b, Gericom) with realtek chipset and found a newer driver on Realteks site. That driver (W2K) together with Buffalo's Client Manager2 (v2.1) enables both WPA-PSK and WPA AES encryption with the card.

Reply to
Axel Hammerschmidt

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 07:00:53 -0500, Airman Thunderbird wrote in :

In general, these PC Cards are quite basic, with much of the functionality being provided by the host driver. Thus upgrading of the host driver for PC Cards is comparable to upgrading of the firmware in other types of devices.

Reply to
John Navas

Reply to
Airman Thunderbird

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.