New Buffalo WHR-G125

Just noticed this is out. The old WHR-G54 has been "out-of-stock" for a month and this is now showing up - in it's place?

Wonder what the difference is, other than the case. I see that the antenna is probably no longer "hi-gain" which means what? 2 dbi vs 4. Is it fixed or removable?

Also looks like the LAN lights have been moved to the front.

Firmware? RAM, etc? Might they be pulling a Linksys?

Anyway, it's good that they have a super-cheap solution again, because sometimes that's all that's needed.

Inicidentally, the WHR-G54 is still up as a product at Buffalo (on some pages). Just can't buy it anywhere right now.

Shown here:

formatting link
here:
formatting link
Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
Missing here:
formatting link

According to Buffalo the WHR-G54 is now obsolete. I have a couple of the WHR-G125s here that were shipped in place of the WHR-G54s but haven't had a chance to look at them. I will post an update.

Reply to
George

formatting link
Missing here:
formatting link

DD-WRT Forum

The WHR-HP-G125 has an FCC ID FDI-09101584-0 if you wish to look it up.

Reply to
kev

formatting link
Missing here:
formatting link

Here is what I have found:

whr-g125 & whr-hp-g125 are the same internally. They have different antennas. Both have the same FCCID FDI-09101584-0

They are powered via a 3.3V inline wall-wort, in the same style as the whr-hp-54g.

whr-g125 has a non-removable 2dBi ant. attached via coax to the pcb.

whr-hp-g125 has a 4 dBi ant. with a rp-sma ant jack that is attached to the pcb via coax. The antenna pictured in the FCC pix appears identical to the antenna shipped with the older whr-hp-g54.

According to

formatting link
4MB flash & 16MB ram remain unchanged from the older whr-g54 series.

The new models use a Broadcom BCM5354 chip where the whr-hp-g54 uses a BCM5352.

from

formatting link
"BCM5354 Adds 802.11g Radio - Also in November, Broadcom announced its BCM5354, an upgrade to its BCM5352 802.11g router-on-a-chip. The new chip, which is already in full production, adds a direct-conversion radio to its predecessor. The resulting product combines a MIPS CPU, a five-port Fast Ethernet switch, and all 802.11g functions except for the relatively low-cost RF front end."

formatting link
shows it running at 240MHz. The older whr-hp-g54 runs at 200MHz.

From the FCC site I see there was a change made in the application. First application date is 03/26/2007. A "Class II Permissive Change" has a 04/12/2007 date.

The changes: WAN jack changed from Black to Blue. A heatsink has been added to the Broadcom BCM5354 chip. The AC power adapter specs were changed from a universal 100-240VAC input & 3.3V,2A output to a 100-120VAC input & 3.3V, 1.2A output.

kc

Reply to
Kim Clay

Great work. Thanks. That fills in most of the gaps.

I wonder about how the gain and sensitivity compare between the new and the old HP.

Steve

Reply to
seaweedsteve

fwiw

formatting link
"in my first tests based on a sample provided by Buffalo, this router was showing a significantly better receiving sensitivity than comparable older broadcom based routers like the Linksys WRT54G."

"DD-WRT does support this Router in since mid of May in our V24 release series. watch out for this new product at your local stores."

"The DD-WRT Team has made a special build for this router series to support the new features of this wifi chipset, consider that this firmware is not compatible with any other Broadcom router."

kc

Reply to
Kim Clay

Interesting how they compare the new Buffalo to the old Linksys as opposed to the old Buffalo. Then again, the old WHR-g54 had a 4dbi antenna and the new has a fixed 2dbi.

I'm still curious how the new HP compares to the old HP. I guess nobody has one yet.

Not shown at Buffalo.

We'll find out soon enough.

Reply to
seaweedsteve

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.