whr-hp-g54 wireless bridge

I have been trying to setup a wireless bridge with two whr-hp-g54 routers. I have flashed both routers with dd-wrt.v23_generic firmware.Does anybody have instructions on setting up these model of routers. Thank You.

Reply to
d11
Loading thread data ...

I have been following these instructions and have checked my settings five times but cannont ping 192.168.1.1 gateway. The host router has a working wireless connection, all wireless security is turned off on both routers. The firewall on client router is turned off.

formatting link

Reply to
d11

snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.com hath wroth:

Good units for the purpose. Did you test them BEFORE you flashed them with new firmware? Did the flash update succeed?

That's nice. You should be using "standard" SP2 at:

Sure. However, you're not ready for setup. Try flashing them with the correct firmware first. See instructions specific to Buffalo at:

Read the instructions about 3 times. If you skimmed them, read them again until you catch all the little tricks. Then, there's one more. If you do the TFTP flash update as the instructions suggest, do NOT immediately hit after applying power to start the TFTP upload. You'll get an error message and a failed upload. Wait about 3 seconds (no more than 3) after applying power. Also, when you think it's done, go away for a minute or two, before trying to use the router. Sometimes, I have to cycle the power.

As for not being able to connect at 192.168.1.1, try 192.168.11.1 and if you're lucky, you'll probably find your original Buffalo firmware.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes the flash succeed on both routers.I got a flash succeed in 30 seconds message for host router and 32 seconds for client router.

was not careful enough to explain that.

I read those instructions for a day and it still took me another day to correctly flash both routers. I finally got routers flashed by this method.

" When you start the tftp and plug the router in, the NIC doesn't detect media until after the tftp flash window has passed, so 60 seconds later the tftp times out and the router boots normally. If so, don't unplug the router. Get your tftp ready, hold down the Init (Reset) button on the router, with the Init held down and the Diag blinking, start tftp and immediately release the Init button. You'll never get the 'Cable Disconnected' errors, and it should flash right up." I used this method on both routers.

I have not tried to put the client router on the net by itself "after flashing" with DD-wrt.v23 standard +SP2.

The host router is on the net and runs great with DD-wrt. v23 standard + SP2. I will go over to where the routers are tomorrow and put the client router on net by it self to check it.

Thank You for your time and your help. It is really appreciated.

Reply to
d11

was not careful enough

Well I cannot get internet connectivity wired or wireless with the second router. Should I try flashing back to buffalo factory revert.

Reply to
d11

snipped-for-privacy@anywhere.com hath wroth:

Did it have connectivity with the Buffalo firmware? Are all the ethernet cables in the right holes? (A common problem). Did you do a grand reset after flashing? Sometimes this helps. If at&t DSL, did you remember your PPPoE login and password?

We'd be happy to help, but merely announcing that it doesn't work doesn't offer much information to work with. Some clue as to how you have it arranged will be required. Also, do your troubleshooting with a wired ethernet connection to the computah. Wireless can come later.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Yes.

I am not sure what you mean by Grand reset.

After restting cable modem and router I am able to connect to web using dd-wrt.v23_sp2_standard firmware.

Reply to
d11

I have an office at the back of my property and have a cable connection for internet access. I've connected a Buffalo wireless router model whr-hp-g54 so that I can connect in the house. However, the signal in the house where the computer is is very low and keeps disconnecting.

How do I set up a second router as a wireless bridge. The second router will be exactly the same as the first Buffalo. The house computer has USB Client wireless device model WLI-U2KG54A1.

It is about 132 feet to the house. There is a direct line of sight to an upstairs window clear of bushes and trees.

Have I given you enough information???

Oh yes, the Buffalo router was flashed with ddwrt ver 23 s.p.2 standard.

How do I build a bridge in the upstairs so I can get a decent signal downstairs where the computer is located (which is at the front of the house ... direct line the signal has to go through three walls).

Reply to
tdsslster

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com hath wroth:

Apology: I'm trying to pass a kidney stone and feeling a bit better than lousy. Brain, logic, and spelling may not be too wonderful.

There are several ways to do this. I strongly suggest you stay with DD-WRT v23 sp2. In order of my preferences:

1. Install a better antenna or reflector on the WHR-HP-G54 in the back. Aiming more RF in the direction of the house, instead of directions where it doesn't need to go will be a big help. For reflectors see:
132 ft should work, but not if it has to go through walls. You might also consider something else instead of the current client radio. To see if a replacement might help, try walking around the house with a known working laptop and determine the signal levels with Netstumbler. If the laptop shows good signal, a different client radio is in order.
  1. Relocate the existing WLIU2KG54AI with a longer USB cable to offer better line of sight to the back WHR-HP-G54.

Officially, you can use a total of 5 meters of USB cables, but I've gone much farther without problems. USB hubs and amplified USB cables will also work. This USB radio has a very small low gain antenna in order to fit inside the small package. Something with a bigger antenna will work much better.

1. Setup a 2nd WHR-HP-G54 as a wireless client. Remove the existing USB WLIU2KG54AI and run a CAT5 cable to the new WHR-HP-G54.
  2. Setup a 2nd WHR-HP-G54 as a WDS bridge somewhere in the house. It would need good line of sight to both the back router and the client computer. With WDS, the new WHR-HP-G54 will act as both a bridge to the back radio, and as an access point for client connections. In effect, it's a repeater and a client at the same time.

However, with WDS and all repeaters, there is a 50% maximum speed reduction for all wireless connections to the 2nd WHR-HP-G54. If you run CAT5 from the computer instead of using the WLIU2KG54AI, you don't have this loss. It's also important for this to be a 2nd WHR-HP-G54 with DD-WRT as this is the only combination that does WPA with WDS. Other WDS implimentations only do WEP.

1. If you have a common phone line or power line between the two buildings, think about using power line or phone line networking:
    formatting link
    you can piggyback 10baseT on a CATV coax cable.

Is there a common coax cable between buildings?

1. Setup the WHR-HP-G54 as a repeater. I hate repeaters.
  2. Whatever else I forgot.

The setup varies depending on whether you configure the 2nd router as a client ethernet bridge, WDS bridge, or simple repeater. Can I be lazy and not go into all these setups? The WDS bridge is the most complicated. See the DD-WRT wiki at:

For WDS setup, see:

For client mode, see:

etc...

Close. Try: WLI-U2-KG54-AI

Yep. The number of walls and construction that the signal needs to penetrate would be helpful. Also if there is anything in the window that might cause problems (metal screening, aluminized mylar heat refelctors, metal glass pane frames, etc). In general, I like to see numbers, not descriptions. I would never have guessed your problem or setup from the original posting. More generally:

1. What are you trying to accomplish?
  2. What do you have to work with?

Good.

Oh, now you mention 3 walls. At 132 ft, I don't think you have a chance to make this work directly. A repeater or 2nd WHR-HP-G54 will probably necessary. However, I would still run some experiments to see if a better client radio or better antennas will work.

Now, I'm going to roll over and play dead for a while.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.