netgear signal is 80%+, but XP is interfering

on my 2nd pc (my first gets on the internet fine), the signal is in the

80's (in the Netgear Smart Wizard), but it won't connect. I think the reason is that XP's wireless network connection software is getting in the way. Netgear says to disable XP's wireless connection configurator, and I unchecked 'Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings'. But maybe thats not enough, its STILL conflicting, I suspect...

1. XP's icon for wireless network has an 'X' in it - no connection.

1. But Netgear's Smart Wizard software shows I have a signal above 80% ! I think it would work if XP's wireless network crud wasn't getting in the way?

Also, I'm using WEP 128-bit, shared, and I've got all netgear equipment. Thanks for any advice Jason Shohet

Reply to
jasonshohet
Loading thread data ...

thats exactly it - i'm getting a good signal, but ipconfig shows I have no IP address... but on my other computer i am getting it from DHCP. So I can disable wireless on XP thru device manager? I'll try it there....

Reply to
jasonshohet

The netgear card is configured properly; I disabled the Zero Wireless config. in XP services. But I'm still getting an 'X' in the wireless network connection - even though the netgear smart wizard shows 80%. Perhaps 80% isn't enough to get an IP address from DHCP? Perhaps 128-bit WEP causes other conflicts?

I turned off XP's firewall, that didn't help. I have other computers that work with my wireless network, so I know its not a universal problem....

Reply to
jasonshohet

Guess what... i got it working on 2 out of 3 PC's. I stopped using 128-bit WEP and did WPA-PSK with TKIP. I also changed the ssid to something different. Either changing the ssid, or moving to WPA-PSK did the trick. I can connect on 2 computers....

But not the 3rd. There's one PC that won't work with it, and coincidentally it doesn't have XP SP2 on it... I'm wondering if thats why. Its strange -- when I do ipconfig, it gets an IP address, But not the gateway. Anyone know what it means if you get an IP address from DHCP but you don't see a gateway? :)

Reply to
jasonshohet

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1104516565.281144.313300 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Well you can disable the Wireless Zero Configuration Service on XP. You should use XP's Device Manager and install the card's driver and configure the card there too if you like.

Most likely, the computer is getting a 169. IP which you can check for by doing IPconfg /all at the DOS Command Prompt. That means that the machine cannot get an IP from a DHCP server due to some kind of mis-configuration of the card. Yes, you can have good signal strength, but if the machine is not getting an IP that will allow it to access the Internet, then it's not going to access it.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

You disable Wireless Zero Configuration by stopping the service. start-run-services.msc But I didn't do that.

I have a Netgear WG511 that is perfectly happy with Windows handling the connection. I had to upgrade the firmware to get it to work on WinXP. Driver 2.1.25.0 Firmware 2.04.12.00 Driver Date September 06, 2004

When I first configured WEP, I had to delete the Windows profile that had the SSID of the non-WEP router, or change the SSID so Windows would configure correctly and pop up a WEP key page.

I find the WG511 gets an instant ip address. With my Orinoco, I had to wait a few seconds after the connection was made. On a Linksys WAP, the Orinoco would take 20-30 seconds to get an IP adress.

Reply to
dold

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1104523080.531238.162390 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

Well, I also don't use the card's utility to do anything not even to show signal strength, which can be done at the NIC's Property Screen and it shows the icon in the job trey and you mouse over it to show signal strength. The card's utility is not installed. If you're using the Network Wizard, you may want to stop using it too as it's nothing but trouble.

You may want to go to the card's Website and download the driver and do the install and config of the card with XP's Device Manager.

Your best bet may be to go to the LAN Property screen and delete the wireless card icon if you can and get a fresh start.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

My problem was an SMC7004WFW router that just didn't want to play with WinXP wireless. It was fine with a wired WinXPHome, but it wouldn't play with a WinXPHome-DLink-DWL-122 or a WinXPPro-Orinoco-Silver or WinXPPro-DLink-DWL-122. They would connect. They would work for a while, and then the wireless would go dead. The wired was okay, but a Win2000 would die if the WinXP was running and died. Win2000 would run for days with no WinXP wireless.

I fixed it by getting a NetGear WGR614v4.

Reply to
dold

My computer that can't connect has a Netgear USB device on it. I'm getting 80% signal.

This is the strange behavior: sometimes, IPconfig tells me I have an IP address, but no gateway!!! Of course internet is unavailable.

Sometimes I DO get the gateway. And I can hit google, which is a very easy page to load, but it chokes on Yahoo, which is larger.

Perhaps 80% signal is not enough? I disabled the zero wireless thing in services...

Thanks

Reply to
jasonshohet

Duane,

I got it working. I just did IPCONFIG /renew. I don't know WHY that works, but when I did it, I got an IP address for the gateway and everything worked.... very bizarre. Perhaps something got screwed when I turned on the advanced encryption... perhaps when I got a new usb wireless device from netgear. Bizarre.

Reply to
jasonshohet

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1104785574.956564.177750 @c13g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

80% signal strength has nothing to do with it I don't think. 80% is pretty good. I have had a solid connection with the signal strength being less than 50% the further the card was away from the router and was able to network on the LAN and access the Internet with no problems. Maybe, you have a problem with the card period or may be the router. It may be hard to pinpoint. You may want to try a replacement card and see what happens.

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.