Netgear WG311v3 Wizard - how do I stop it at startup?

After I upgraded the software for my WG311 wireless card (to 1.1 from the original software that came with it), the "Smart Wizard" pops up at startup. This is the tool used to configure the network settings.

The previous version of the Netgear software did not have the Wizard appear at startup. The computer in question is used by my loose-cannon kids, and the last thing in the world I'd want is for them to start playing around and muck up the configuration settings.

I've been corresponding with Netgear "technical support" - if that's what they want to call themselves - for a week now trying to get the simple question answered and they're unable to.

The Wizard would stay closed at startup prior to 1.1, and this seems like the logical approach (why, after all, on a desktop computer, would you want to tinker with the network settings every time you start?). So how do I have my card connect to my wireless network on startup, but keep the Network Wizard from becoming an active window?

This is in Windows 2000 if that matters.

Reply to
timmons
Loading thread data ...

There surely must be an option the run the "wizard"

then *save* your settings....

If not...then I'd uninstall the device completely and reinstall the original driver which presumably works!

Reply to
philo

Nope. The wizard launches at every startup and stays maximized until closed. According to Netgear technical support, my only option is to remove the Wizard from the startup items, then, each time I start the computer, manually connect to the internet. Crummy or what?

I lost my original installation disk, with the original driver. So I'm stuck with the current version.

Reply to
timmons

timmons hath wroth:

Download and install Startup Inspector for Windoze from:

formatting link
's free. Run it and see if the Netgear client manager is started with any weird options after the executeable. I don't have a machine with a Netgear wireless card installed to check how the line is suppose to look.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

unless netgear still has it on their site...

if not try

formatting link

as they *might* have the original driver

Reply to
philo

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.