Netgear RangeMax 240 Service Blocking ?

Hi,

I have the RangeMax 240 Wireless Router and I have a Question about Service Blocking. I am trying to block all ports except about 8 or 9. I see no exception list is this correct? Right now I am able to enter about 8 enties in the Blocking services list and no more. So, I have been putting an entry to block the ports up to the one I want to leave open and then enter another entry from that point to up to the next port I want to leave open and so forth. Is there any other way I can do this?

If No, which other router should I buy that will allow an exception list so I can block all services/ports except...?

Thanks in advance for your help,

John

Reply to
John
Loading thread data ...

What /exactly/ are you trying to achieve?

Normally with a router you don't need to block specific ports inbound. You would typically forward a few ports to your server, the rest would be redirected automatically to nowhereland.

However assuming you're trying to block outbound traffic: most routers, including my Netgear, let you set a block range. If you /really/ want to block activity, set block everything /except/ http. You will almost certainly find this causes you huge problems....

Thats how I'd do it, if I could be bothered. Far simpler just to install personal firewalls on each PC and set them to a strict mode.

Reply to
Mark McIntyre

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.