Nedwbie question about wireless network

Hi all, I've been wireless for months now with no problems. My friend has decided to go broadband, so I was all singing and dancing about wireless, so she told me to sort her out.

She has gone with BT who have given her a wireless modem (Voyager). When I connect everything up using the cables, she's got broadband fine, but when I unplug the ethernet from the PC and try and set up the USB wireless adapter (D-Link) there is no broadband!

The USB adapter finds the wireless modem/router and they can communicate no problem, but we can't access the internet. we keep getting the DNS error page cannot be found. I've tried everything. Can anyone help?

Thanks. Al.

Reply to
Alan
Loading thread data ...

"Alan" wrote in news:576hf.4231$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe3-gui.ntli.net:

If you go to the Command Prompt and enter IPconfig /all when you use the wire connection you'll see the machine has a valid IP that will allow it to access the Internet. It will also show the DNS IP from the ISP the machine is using too.

When you connect the machine wirelessly and do IPconfig /all, you'll see the machine has no IP and does not have IP(s) to the ISP's DNS server.

This is usally due to some kind of mis-configuration on the user's part. I suggest you get a Tech out from BT and end the suffering or get on the phone with DLink.

BTW, what the DNS server is used for is when you enter

formatting link
the url is used to look-up the
formatting link
on the DNS server and convert it to an IP so that the connection can be made to the site.

Duane :)

Reply to
Duane Arnold

Why do people go with BT when there are dozens and dozens of better/cheaper providers??

formatting link

You'll need to provide the details of the settings in use on the router and client to give us a clue! :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

I thought all these things were supposed to be plug and play?? That's what it says on the box. Install the drivers, connect the USB ethernet wireless adapter and you're connected!! My arse!!

Reply to
Alan

Well for starters, default out of the box leaves you with zero security so that's not good. However, without the config, the IP configuration that the router has, the IP config that the client has, there's no information to work with.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.