Multiple Wireless Access Points

I lied, I can do it today. 8*) It seems to make no difference to my setup (*) whether the APs are on separate channels or common channels, Ping Plotter will show a momentary interruption in service, but WinAmp will continue to play an MP3 file off my server (usually) without a glitch.

Since it makes sense that in a multi-user setup you'd want people to be able to use separate channels to reduce interference, you probably want to use the usual three non-overlapping channels: 1,6,11.

(*) Linksys WAP54G V1 (FW V2.07) and V2 (FW V2.08), Dell Latitude D600 with Intel 2200BG with 9.0.2.25 drivers, WinXP(pro) SP2 with all the latest patches. WPA-PSK/TKIP. Your milage _will_ vary.

Reply to
William P. N. Smith
Loading thread data ...

Responses below...Thanks a ton for all your help! -Joe

Hmmm - I thought about steps #3 & 4, but didn't get around to trying that yet.

No - the W2K DHCP server works fine w/ other network clients.

formatting link
It does NOT require an IP address to be assigned in order to find a

I'll do that.

I'm comfortable w/ software sniffers - I'll try that if the suggestion above fails.

Reply to
Joe DiGiovanni

It would only make a difference if there was overlap and radio interference. Possibly because your one laptop is either in one place or the other, there's very little RF on the other AP when they're on the same channel.

Reply to
David Taylor

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.