Belkin G+ MIMO wireless routers in series

Hi,

I recently managed to screw up my mates internet at a house party by breaking one of his routers. He had 2 belkin G+ MIMO wireless routers connected in series. The first router was connected to the cable modem, via ethernet, the second router was connected to the first wireless router via ethernet cable. The effect, extending the range of his internet.

I have bought a new router, how would i go about fitting the same system in? The person who originally fitted it, is unable to come and fit it again, and suggested better instructions from the kind people here on google groups.

So in summary i want 2 wireless routers in series, one is working fine at the minute, and the other needs to connect to the good one via ethernet cable, but allow access to the internet etc.

Cheers in advance

Reply to
teddyparnell
Loading thread data ...

Sorry to be pedantic, but it is important to point out to users of Google's "groups" interface that this is a Usenet newsgroup and differs markedly in etiquette and protocol from a "Google group"

See:

formatting link
Regards,

Michael

Reply to
msg

On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 12:27:31 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@googlemail.com wrote in :

Configure the 2nd wireless router as a wireless access point (as described in the How To wiki below), and cable it from LAN port to LAN port (not WAN/Internet port).

Reply to
John Navas

Easy up on the booze.

The first was acting as a wireless router. The 2nd was acting as an access point. See:

for instruction on how to setup a router as an access point.

See above URL. It's easy enough. Basically, you change the IP and disable the DHCP server in the 2nd box (access point).

Make sure that the 2nd box (access point) uses a different IP address from the first. Belkin may require a bit of additional tweaking. The default IP address is 192.168.2.1 with a DHCP range of 192.168.2.2 ->

something. It's a bad idea to have another divice inside the DHCP range of the router. Therefore, change the DHCP range of the first router to 192.168.2.100->149. You can then safely set the IP address of the 2nd access point to 192.168.2.2.

You will also note that the setup allows one to save the settings. You might want to do that seperately for each device so that the next time you go on a drunken binge and destroy everything in range, you can recover more easily.

That must have been quite some party. Does he have a terminal hangover or did you put him in the hospital?

If you can't figure it out, kindly supply some model numbers. Also, since it's a new box, you might want to check the Belkin web pile for firmware updates.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Usenet newsgroups are cross fed to mailing lists, gateways, BBS's, blogs, AOL groups, Yahoo groups, various web interfaces, wiki's, and RSS feeds. As far as I can tell, it's one big (ugly) pretzel. It's true that the rules and levels of abuse vary depending on the point of origin, but once an article makes it onto the pretzel, the issue is academic as the articles are largely indistinguishable.

While the rules, regulations, restrictions, and guides vary depending on the law firm or advocate that wrote them, methinks there's really only one rule: "Don't post anything that you would not want to read" Everything else is hair splitting and trivia.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.