Linksys WUSB54G - Work okay?

I am considering detaching my home office dasktop computer from my WRT54G router, moving the WRT54G and cable modem to a more centrally-located part of the house, and installing a WUSB54G on my desktop. Please answer the following:

1. Can I operate at near full speed up to 50' from the WRT54G?
  2. Can I use WPA encryption?
  3. Is the setup fast enough for online game play on the desktop?

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G
Loading thread data ...

Ask the salesman or the linksys site.

But then, I don't understand two wireless routers, or what "detaching my...computer from my WRT54G (which I have) router" means:)

Reply to
avalanche

Detaching means to go from wired to wireless! What else?

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

WUSB54G doesn't support WPA, but does support WEP 128 bit. WUSB54G requires WinXP or Win 2000.

I can't comment on the speed/range yet, I guess it will depend on the obstructions and local intereference.

Reply to
nospam

I just received my WUSB54G and in fact it does support WPA! It is working great.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

I guess I just don't understand. I just have a desktop wired to, and laptop receiving from, my WRT54G.

Are you saying that after your move your desktop is now wireless thru the WUSB54G? This is my first wireless router. Does the WUSB54G act like whatever card (or whatever) is in my laptop receiving from the router...i.e. the two routers communicate wirelessly?

Brad

Reply to
Avalanche

Yes. I disabled my "local area" network connection and set up the WUSB54G including my WPA key and it is communicating wirelessly with my WRT54G. My laptop (IBM Thinkpad) adapter and the WUSB54G adapter both communicate wirelessly with the WRT54G router. It is working great. It does not work well with online games however.

Dave G

Reply to
Dave G

Reply to
Avalanche

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.