laptop in Europe - Germany

just wondering.... if we take our laptop with us to Germany, what are the WiFi freqs/channels over there - Are they all the same freq - but slightly different channel usage or spacing ?

So - bottom line, will our normal WiFi card work over there ?

Reply to
ps56k
Loading thread data ...

Short answer, maybe. In US Wifi goes from channel 1 to 11 while in Europe and Germany it runs channel 1 to 13 (same freg assignments for each channel) so if the AP is on 1 to 11, should work fine, if 12 or 13, SOL

fundamentalism, fundamentally wrong.

Reply to
Rico

wrote:>just wondering....

All true, however I have only ever seen one AP that used other then 1-11. My one. 11 seems to be the default. Many books are written for the US market and only mention

1-11. A lot of people use the default or 1-11.

I am in the UK where 1-13 is allowed.

Unless you are planning a short visit, of more concern will be the charger. About 230V 50Hz. I think that all the laptop chargers that I have seen for years have been 110-250V and 50-60Hz. Unless youpl

Reply to
bod43

What's more, many clients see to have the wrong reg domain set on the wifi card, so won't see anything on 12 or 13. After the second time I had to change a channel on an AP due to misconfigured clients being unable to see it, I gave up and avoid 12 and 13 now. That and WPA2-PSK.

Reply to
alexd

You will find it's not the wrong reg domain that has been set but the cards will not operate in all domains. My neighbour used to work for an American company and was issued with a Toshiba laptop whose wifi only worked on channels 1-11, reason was the laptop had been part of a bulk buy by the parent company in the US.

Even newer cards have a similar restriction and are bought as such.

Reply to
LR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.