Just curious how far your Wi-Fi access point is from your desktop computer

I'm up to 11 now. My goal is to point out what an arrogant, snobby, prick you are. Just the fact that you took the time to enumerate all of this shows what a simple minded senile old man you really are.

Your superiority attitude makes your life more difficult because you just grate on people. You talk about adult posts but it is YOU that is the most childish person here. I'm not afraid to call you out on it but you are afraid to look in a mirror and see yourself for what you are.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski
Loading thread data ...

Hi Mike,

I understand that every situation is different, and, one of my key points on versatility ot good tools is that even your situation is different today than it might be five years from now (where you can repurpose stuff you bought if it's versatile).

Understood. The beauty of the switch (or router) being separate from the access point is that you can place the access point anywhere you like.

One thing you might consider, Mike, which works GREAT for me because I don't want to 'climb through walls' is you can position the access point OUTSIDE the house pointing back at the house!

This idea works GREAT for me!

I'm nestled into the side of a hill, which helps, as I can see the roof from my back yard, where every instance is different topographically, but even on a flat yard, you can still paint the entire house with WiFi simply by snaking a cat5 cable to the clotheslines pole, so to speak.

The geometry works out such that one side of the house only has a wall and windows to penetrate (out here, windows are solar reflective/absorptive by code).

Understood, Mike, where it's refreshing to converse with someone like you who has real needs and thinks of real solutions instead of having to deal with the too many trolls who outnumber us 20:1 who simply post on Usenet for their own amusement.

Given your needs are simply that the antenna needs to be in a different location from the router/switch, I'm curious of you've looked at those routers where the antenna itself is easily detachable and relocatable?

Reply to
Arlen _G_ Holder

This is where Usenet potluck sharing shows its value:

formatting link

So I looked up those suggestions for Mike, where the first Amazon hit was:

$61.84 & FREE Shipping o Ubiquiti EdgeRouter X Advanced Gigabit Ethernet Routers ER-X 256MB Storage 5 Gigabit RJ45 ports

formatting link
Where it was interesting, in the picture to see not only a POE in (which I have on my switches also), but also a POE out (which is useful as I feel good tools should be versatile to fit many situations over the years) o Marketing:
formatting link
o Specs:
formatting link

Here's a review of the EdgeRouter X (aka ER-X):

formatting link

The first hit of the ER-X-SFP was this: $92.99 & FREE Shipping o Ubiquiti Edgerouter X SFP - Router - Desktop - Black (ER-X-SFP)

formatting link

This is what I love about the idea of coupling a fast but inexpensive switch to a separate access point, such as is shown in this picture:

formatting link

Note: You can put that NanoBeam NBE-M5-16 either on the POE out port, or, you could put it on ANY port if electricity is near the location of the transceiver, where the advantage of the POE out port is that you the transceiver can be placed in a location that doesn't have mains power.

The one nice thing about all this Ubiquiti equipment is that they're like hammers and screwdrivers, in that whenever you have a need, they seem to be versatile enough to do the job well.

I don't have the speed needs that Mike has, but I love plugging "stuff" into a switch where, for example, this is a radio I'm erecting outside that is connected to a switch inside, which will paint the house from the sides:

formatting link

Reply to
Arlen _G_ Holder

UPDATE:

Given this was my WiFi & cellular test situation at various locations: o abdelrahman.wifianalyzerpro

formatting link
o uk.co.soapysoft.wifianalyzer
formatting link
o com.keuwl.wifi
formatting link
o make.more.r2d2.cellular_z
formatting link
etc. I ended up purchasing this setup to test out, which just arrived: o
formatting link

Reply to
Arlen _G_ Holder

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.