Listening to two channels at once

Hello!!

Are there WLAN adapters that can listen more than one channel at once. For example, while in monitor mode, adapter recieves all the frames from only one channel, and I have to monitor two channels at once. I found that there are APs that can send data on three channels at once, but haven't found PCMCI product that can recieve on more than one channel. Have I missed something, or are there no such products?

Thanks!

Vedran Mikac

Reply to
Vedran
Loading thread data ...

"Vedran" hath wroth:

Yes. They have two radios inside the box. Proxim AP-4000 and such.

Oh, you want the ultimate sniffer that can monitor everything on every channel. I don't know of any such device. Sniffer receivers are scanners. They scan for valid packets and stop to decode the data if they hear something worth decoding. In order to do what you propose, you would need to disable the scanning and use 11 wireless cards. It can certainly be done by digitizing the entire 83.5MHz of the band with a broadband receiver, and later seperating out the data later via a DSP. Basically a software defined radio. I expect to see such devices shortly, but at this time, it's stictly science fiction and development work.

Which AP's transmit on 3 channels at once? Are you thinking of MIMO or 802.11n? Note that some of these send identical data via 3 different paths, but all on the same channel. They do not use 3 channels. There are channel bonding schemes to get 108Mbits/sec thruput that use 2 channels, but that's with only one transmitter.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.