Intruder

Can anyone recommend a program that lists who is accessing the internet through a specific router? I have a Netgear WGR614 54 Mbps Wireless Router set up in my apartment, and I have a slight suspicion that someone living in the apartment next to me is accessing the internet through my connection. The connection is provided to us by the apartment, and they have a sort of quota system in place.

I don't exactly know what kind of program I'm looking for. I just need something that will either log who/what uses my router, or just reject anyone not on my network.

Reply to
sk
Loading thread data ...

cant you WEP encrypt.....

Reply to
Name

Check your router for a logging option.

Reply to
John Navas

I have it encrypted with WPA, but I'm overly paranoid about these kinds of things.

Reply to
sk

There is a logging function for websites, but nothing for activity...

Reply to
sk

If you've got WPA on with a non-dictionary(*) password that your neighbor can't possibly know, they are not using your network. Check the DCHP server for a list of clients...

(*) Your turn, John.

Reply to
William P.N. Smith
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]
Reply to
John Navas

I agree with William, if you have your traffic encrypted with WPA or WPA-PSK with nonsense passphrase, I doubt that someone outside your allowed group is accessing your router. Still, it doesn't hurt to make sure that your router's web menu is password protected. If it is not and the router's web menu does not hide your passphrase, then someone may indeed be surfing the net via your connection.

Reply to
Doug Jamal

See:

formatting link

It'a also fun to scan your network for IP's that don't belong. I use NMap from:

formatting link
\\Nmap> nmap -T5 -sP 192.168.111.0/24

Starting Nmap 4.01 (

formatting link
) at 2006-03-29

19:08 Pacific Standard Time Host 192.168.111.1 appears to be up. MAC Address: 00:00:C0:9F:FF:11 (Western Digital) Host 192.168.111.9 appears to be up. Host 192.168.111.33 appears to be up. MAC Address: 00:13:10:8C:14:A9 (Cisco-Linksys) Host 192.168.111.84 appears to be up. MAC Address: 00:C0:02:30:20:23 (Sercomm) Host 192.168.111.156 appears to be up. MAC Address: 00:00:B4:66:13:7A (Edimax Computer Company) Host 192.168.111.185 appears to be up. MAC Address: 00:0C:F1:8A:34:FC (Intel) Nmap finished: 256 IP addresses (6 hosts up) scanned in 5.879 seconds

Also, search Google for "wireless intrusion detection" and you'll find some interesting reading material.

I agree with everyone else. Use WPA or WPA with a long, non-obvious key, and you'll be sufficiently safe.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Trend Micro has an inbuilt wireless detedction and firewall, which will notify another system connecting to your router... Needs some skill to understand though. I feel theres better programs around for that job... Will chk.

Reply to
Jonno

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.