Internet Camera

You will use the public IP assigned by your ISP, if it is a changing (dynamic IP then that is where a service like dyndns comes in handy). You dont have to know what the IP address is. Your camera manual should show you some ports that have to be opened or forwarded on the router, you then will probably use something like

123.456.789.123:80 or myfakename:80 or whatever port the manual tells you to use.

doesnt

Reply to
Airhead
Loading thread data ...

Sigh. You really need to educate yourself a little more before you start throwing words around like "conned." Specifically, take a closer look at "port forwarding" in your router documentation.

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

I looked into this camera and found out that I would need to disable WPA on my existing network to use it because it is only able to use WEP.

Reply to
George

Well, its only 2 days after Christmas. Have you read the User Guide yet?

formatting link
The IP to access your cam from outside is likely 213.106.82.xxx and would likely include the port number also. (your ntlworld IP addy) See the manual for the proper request format. You may not be able to test this properly from inside your LAN.

Reply to
Pepperoni

P.S. Remember to reboot everything when you make changes.

Reply to
Pepperoni

Drat. I know its working, but I don't know your password. It is working properly, because the logon *does* show.

Hahaha........

Reply to
Pepperoni

I get a prompt using port 8080 but the password set won't work using your link, I get your internal setup (configuration) page.

Reply to
Pepperoni

Your link *does* work. The view video link must be hit before the password prompt shows..... good work

Now, make sure no one can configure your cam by hitting the "setup" link.

(I get another password prompt---- didn't try it....)

Reply to
Pepperoni

Disregard---- your link works after hitting the view link.

I suspect that I should not be seeing the setup link from outside, though. Where is that street? looks like light rain today. (snow here in Ann Arbor, Michigan)

Reply to
Pepperoni

Words have meanings and most people understand the word conned to mean swindled, as this is the primary definition of the word according to Merriam Webster and other dictionaries.

I *think* what you were trying to say is "I understand it to be possible to access my new internet camera from outside my local network without paying money to the camera manufacturer. Given that the camera has a non-routeable address (192.168.x.x), I can't figure out how to set things up to make this happen. Can anyone help?"

Honey, vinegar, flies, etc...

Reply to
Clark W. Griswold, Jr.

Thee manual tells how to set up for *designated* users only.

hahahaha

Reply to
Pepperoni

I got a Linksys WVC54G Internet camera for Christmas... the blurb says it has a built in web-server and so can be accessed via the Internet remotely. It is wirelessly connected to my Linksys WRT54G router using DHCP.

Now... assuming that I do NOT allow the IP address assigned to the camera to change, then is it REALLY going to be accessible via the Internet. The IP address assigned by the router is a common one and so it not unique (in my opinion) in regard to the WWW i.e. if I type in

192.168.1.xxx remotely this surely cannot be unique and let a remote user access MY camera?

To me the 192.168.1.xxx range of addresses a purely my INTERNAL addresses, irrelevant to the outside world, the only address the world would have a chance of seeing/pinging/accessing would be the routers address, right?

The only other way is to pay an amount to Sololink which provides a unique domain name...which costs, and as I am trialling it, it doesnt work, even though I have port forwarding set up.

So, have I been conned, IS there a way to access my camera remotely on the Internet without using DDNS?

TIA

G
Reply to
Gingangooli

Reply to
bumtracks

Thanks all... all sorted now. Yes I did RTFM... honest :-( , but I didnt see any mention of the scenario I had. But the replies here have made sense and I can now access the webcam using the NTL assigned IP and the open port.

Using the IP by itself just accessing the router admin menu, but using the port number on the end accesses the camera menu/viewer.

Thanks all.

Pepper> Well, its only 2 days after Christmas. Have you read the User Guide yet?

Reply to
Gingangooli

Err? Do you want to test it...as a thank you I have set up access (I hope)...So:

http://213.106.82.133:1025 User: pennine pw: hills

Let me know before it gets tooo dark here.

Thanks

G

G> Thanks all... all sorted now. Yes I did RTFM... honest :-( , but I didnt

Reply to
Gingangooli

Err? Do you want to test it...as a thank you I have set up access (I hope)...So:

http://213.106.82.133:1025 User: pennine pw: hills

Let me know before it gets tooo dark here.

Thanks

G

G> Thanks all... all sorted now. Yes I did RTFM... honest :-( , but I didnt

Reply to
Gingangooli

Reply to
Gingangooli

Reply to
Gingangooli

Try: http://213.106.82.133:1025/img/image.cgi?next_file=main_fs.htmuser: pennine pw: hills

G> Ohh... port 8080??? Its port 1025 that open..wierd. Oh well back to the

Reply to
Gingangooli

Ooops...we are posting at the same time.

Thank you for baring with me...and YES my setup is passworded separately.

Actually... I google searched for those folk that had used Sololink DNS, and accessed a few cams...it was AMAZING just how many had NOT passworded there setup menu !!!!

regards

G

Pepper> Your link *does* work. The view video link must be hit before the password

Reply to
Gingangooli

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.