internal wifi antenna

I just installed a mini PCI wifi (802.11b) card in my TP600X and also installed a pair of internal antenna routed just below the keyboard. The signal received is very weak (one bar). So I disconnected that antenna pair and hook up a spare and route that one outside if the laptop. Same weak signal. Looking at the antenna wire, it looked like a very small coax cable, terminated at one end on a small coax type connector (center pin and snap ring on the ground side. What bothers me is the other end. both the center wire and ground is soldered to a thin metal bracket. So how does this antenna work when resistance wise it is a short ? Thanks.

Reply to
juliuslr
Loading thread data ...

It won't work if it's as you described. Would it be too painful to you to mention the brand/model of the wireless gear?

Reply to
Rôgêr

The mini PCI is a Toshiba PA3272U-1MPC, with marking that says Intel WM3B2100. The driver is from Toshiba website intwlan2100ssox.exe

My AP is a D-Link, and worked fine using my 600E and PCMCIA wifi card.

Reply to
juliuslr

Ummm, most of the laptop internal antennas are routed up to the top or side of the display section. It won't work very well with the radiating part of the antenna down low, near the RFI sources, under the shielded keyboard, etc.

Good thinking. That should have made and antenna work better. Did waveing the antenna around change the signal level? It's not the greatest way to tell if it's working, but if the RF is coming from the antenna, you should see a change.

Oh, that's easy. Any antenna that's 1/2 wavelength long is an open circuit at the resonant frequency. That's about 6mm at 2.4Ghz. To get 50 ohms, the coax cable is connected to a "tap" that's about

10-20% of the distance from the ground (shield) end of the antenna to the grounded end point. There are also "slot" antennas, that are a piece of sheet metal with a 1/2 wave slot and the coax connected across the slot. Some antennas are "J-poles" which are either 1/2 or 5/8 wavelength long, with a 1/4 wave driven element. Everything is grounded. There are also ceramic substrate tuned line antennas, which shrink the wavelength dimensions down to miniature size similar to what's used inside some cellphones.

Be careful with the u-FL connectors. They are very flimsy, do not tolerate any abuse, and will break at the slightest provocation. If your antenna assembly was not designed specifically for your unspecified MiniPCI card, there may be a connector problem, or you may have trashed the connector if you forced it. Did it go "click" when you attached the connectors? That's a good sign that it fits.

Antenna for IBM laptop with some nifty references:

formatting link
like a J-pole antenna.

Installing an internal antenna in an IBM A31 laptop:

formatting link
Ceramic antennas:
formatting link
Some good stuff on antenna basics and theory:
formatting link
(see links in the right window).

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

That an Intel 2100 card:

formatting link
's fairly generic as 802.11b cards go. If the Toshiba drivers didn't work, try the Intel drivers.

That means your unspecified model[1] of DLink wireless router works with your IBM 600E laptop and unspecified[1] wi-fi card and is probably not the source of the problem.

[1] Kindly disclose the make and manufacturer of *ALL* your hardware or answers to your questions will tend to be vague and general. It is also a good idea to mention your exact operating system as driver issues tend to related to the OS.
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

It's RF - lots of RF antennae look like a short... at RF frequencies they are not - back EMF and all that stuff... ;-)

Guy

Reply to
Bigguy

Wrong. Race states, hazards, timing issues, glitches, and state dependent software bugs makes digital electronics mimic the real world of analog electronics. Given a sufficiently complex digital system, the symptoms of digital failure are almost identical to the equivalent analog contraption.

I like RF because it's all magic. Nothing is consistent, predictable, or definitive. I can wave my magic wand and make things work one day. The next day, nothing I do will make it work. The basic problem with RF (and all electronics) is that you can't see the electrons moving around. We're basically blind and have to rely on artificial means (i.e. test equipment) to see what's happening. At best, it's a rather poor visulization of reality. Computer simulations help but they are at best science fiction. Anyway, it's fun being a magician. I get to wear the pointed hat with the stars and crescents, wave a magic wand, and mutter 4 letter magic phrases over the circuitry. I can also dispense truly amazing explanations of what was wrong, which takes care of my science fiction addiction. Frankly, methinks that digital is boring, where everything is easily predictable, and totally devoid of entertainment value and magic.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Hey, it's not worth a pie.......... Go get a card to pop in the slot. They work better anyway. I got the top of the range Toshiba & ended up doing that & never regretted it.

Reply to
BruceM

etc etc which is why I like digital electronics, there are two states:-

1) it works 2) it doesn't

:)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

yeah yeah, I think you missed the subtlety of my humour. :)

A friend of mine built a spectrum analyser, it looked more like meccano with bits of PCB and ground plane stuff all over the place. Don't know if it ever worked or how. :)

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
SMS

Bad idea. On notebook PCs, the antennas are placed at the top right and left corners of the display part of the notebook, with antenna cables routed up through the hinges. Even before wireless was standard, many notebooks included the antenna and the wires on every one, but the TP600X is pretty ancient.

Reply to
SMS

That's the problem with digital people. Everything has to be on/off, one/zero, funny/not-funny. Us analog types have in between states such as half funny.

The uglier it is, the better it works. That's true for RF, antennas, and network wiring. I'm always suspicious of anything that is neat, organized, or properly labeled. Anything that nice looking can't possibly work right. That's also why "ship the breadboard", and "no user serviceable parts inside" are popular. If the spectrum analyzer is as ugly as you indicate, it probably works just fine.

Incidentally, the problem with RF test equipment is that it always has to be better than the radios that it's testing. That's not easy when the major limitations of the components and design are approaching physical limits (i.e. noise floor). That's why test equipment tends to be rather complex, exotic, and ugly.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

On the contrary, we just use more bits to represent those states and as long as you're not worried about a little quantisation error, it's close enough. At the end of the day, men only need about 2 bits for emotions anyway, it's the full 1024 bits that get implemented in women.

David.

Reply to
David Taylor

Jeff Liebermann wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I wouldn't say RF is all magic, but can be unpredictable. I do a lot of RF work for narrow-band licensed frequenciew from 100 mhz to 1 ghz and I can tell you, nothing sucks more that to fully align a transeiver out of it's enclosure and then when it goes together, have massive front-end desense because the frequencies 1/4 wavelength is exactly the distance between the 2 mounting screws, or their's some kind of birdie at a certain frequency which causes heavy intermod.

But, by just looking at a schemtaic, it's much easier to decipher analog circuitry and understand it than digital, to me anyway.

DanS

Reply to
DanS

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.