Actiontec GT701 Wireless issue

I have a customer that I set up with the wireless function on their GT701 DSL router they got through Qwest. They have one computer connected directly to the router and two others that are using the wireless connection. All are running XP PRO SP2. The wireless is set up as 802.11g with WPA PSK and a Mac filter enabled. What's occurring is their wireless connection will drop every few hours and stay down until the DSL router is rebooted. At that point the connections will come back up. The computer that's directly connected to the router maintains a connection, so it's just the wireless portion getting hosed up, not the router itself. Anybody else seen anything like this ever?

Jeremy

Getnet, inc.

Reply to
Getnet
Loading thread data ...
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

What does "down" mean? Do they still show that they are connected? Can they 'ping' the router?

Reply to
John Navas

"down" in this case means that their wireless cards can't detect the access point - it doesn't appear when they search for wireless APs with the Windows XP wireless manager.

-Jeremy

09:19:58
Reply to
Getnet

sales(at)getnet.net (Getnet) wrote in news:4462129a$0$84251$ snipped-for-privacy@news.getnet.net:

I have an Actiontec GT701 from Qwest and use an R51 Thinkpad with an Intel 2200BG WiFi card to talk to it, using WPA.

Using the 2200BG drivers that were factory installed, I'd lose the wireless connection periodically, but I could get it back by disabling and re-enabling the network connection on the laptop; I didn't have to reboot the GT701.

However, after upgrading to the "latest" 2200BG drivers (they've been updated several times since then), the problem went away.

Do you have the latest firmware in the GT701 and are you using the latest drivers in your PC?

Reply to
Bert Hyman
[POSTED TO alt.internet.wireless - REPLY ON USENET PLEASE]

That of course suggests a wireless bug in the GT701. If you haven't done this already, see if there's a firmware update for the GT701. Otherwise you might have to disable the GT701 wireless, and attach a better wireless access point (not router) to a LAN port instead.

Reply to
John Navas

Try changing the Encryption type from WPA to WEP that might fix as some cards doesnt support this level of encryption. also try updating the firmware of the router and the drivers for the wireless card Hope this works, and lemme know ! happy trouble shooting :)

Getnet (at) wrote:

Reply to
allrise23

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.