I need pointed in the right direction.

I live in a very rural part of Ohio. I am trying to link my two buildings together wirelessly.

Here is what we have. We have a grain leg (Tower) that has a wireless antenna on it that we recieve our internet through. It can 'see' the service providers antenna 4 or five miles away. The wire comes down from the tower and has a Power thing it goes through...

This power thing plugs into an AC outlet and has the Cat 5e going in and out. Can any one tell me what this is and does?

ANYHOW the wire then goes into my one building where I have a Belkin router. this router has 4 connections but I only currently use 2. One to a PC that is right next to the router and one runs through conduit to a pc in the main office.

NOW what I would like to do is set up a wireless antenna system to get internet to my other building that is about 800 feet away. If I cut down some trees this would be a line of site or very near los.

My problem is I don't have an IT degree and while I am not a total goof I quickly get overwhelmed with tech when I try to find out what system I need. I was figuring an antenna at each location of course but what specific hardware I need is proving to be hard to determine.

Where can I go to find out these specifics? I would like someone to say "You need the blah blah blah with the blah blah adapter, or you could use the blah blah and blah blah and that plugs directly into your router"

thanks for all your help.

Mark

Reply to
blastfurnace
Loading thread data ...

Mark,

We're in Ohio and willing to help. Please give me a call at 877-678- WIFI.

Chris

Reply to
NetSteady

That the PoE injector.

formatting link

A really low cost solution could be a Linksys WRG-54G Wireless Router acting as your access point at the Belkin end and a Linksys WAP54G Access Point acting as your remote client at the far end. Stick one at say 20 ft up and the other at 10 ft up, place them under an upside down plastic bucket.

Reply to
nevtxjustin

I appreciate your responces. The items under the bucket sounds like it would work but this is going to be a more permanant install so maybe the next step up would be more suited.

I was looking at those panel type antenna for the router and some yagi type thing at the remote. OR should I use two yagi styles?

here is something that I know is simple but I just can't seem to find..... on those panel type antennas and yagis how do you actually connect them to say a router or pc ethernet port? They all mention differant N or R connectors or something but I don't know how you actually make the connection between a Yagi antenna and a pc.

If I had two yagi antennas and my current pc config, how would I hook them up? Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Mark

Reply to
blastfurnace

Mark,

if you want to connect the two sites using wireless, you must use point to point backhual bridge or wireless AP with bridging support.

i do recommend using 'ZyXEL G-6000 series '

formatting link
outdoorpoint to point backhual Bridge, it's a heavy duty one and will do the job.

Panda,

Reply to
panda

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.