need recommendation

I would eschew electronic security in this case, and concentrate on the physical side. Perhaps a sturdy fence, and electric gate. Yeah, I know it's expensive, waah. js

Reply to
alarman
Loading thread data ...

Hi All,

I've got some elderly friends who live on a small farm. The farm has about 100 yards on the highway. There is a large circular driveway which starts on the extreme edges of the highway frontage.

Lately, these folks have been getting "visitors" who drive in and appear to scope out the property. What components or systems can I use to discourage these visitors? I was thinking something like components that would detect a car and light the entire driveway with movie-theatre style aisle lights. It would be nice to have expansion capability to add video in the future.

Any recommendations, thoughts and ideas would be really appreciated.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Johnson

There are electronic options; however, a simple gate at the road works well in the country to keep people from driving up a long driveway. Thieves know that having to leave their car on the road, and physically go up and down the driveway with their stolen goods under their arm, they are exposed to neighbours and passers by. And who knows, with some luck, a naturally suspicious cop might even drive by while it's happening.

Sure a gate can be inconvenient, but that might just be the price they have to pay for increased security.

RHC

Reply to
R.H.Campbell

A high powered rifle and some well placed shots should do the trick

Reply to
Mark Leuck

There are several companies that make driveway monitoring systems for just this sort of situation. They vary somewhat in price but the wired ones all perform about the same. The systems consist of a buried probe with a cable running back to a processor in the house. The probe doesn't need to go very deep -- typically about 6" below the surface, but it's wise to run the cable low enough that a gardener's shovel won't sever it.

The probe is nothing more than a sensitive electromagnetic coil. When a large, ferrous metal object passes nearby, it disrupts the earth's magnetic field, causing a minute electrical current on the probe. The processor throws a relay and activates an audible chime sounder in the house. Some models are offered with an X10 transmitter to turn on lights. Alternatively, you could switch low voltage lighting through an add-on relay. I installed inexpensive "mushroom" lights around the perimeter of my pool area. When I get back from Brazil in September I plan to connect them to an output of my automation controller so they turn on whenever there is motion in the yard or within the pool cage. My wife wants driveway lights, too, and I'm considering triggering those when a driveway monitor is activated. They'll also come on from sunset until 11:00 pm each evening but it would be nice to have the drive and our short walkway light up when if pull in later than that.

I have information on several driveway controllers on my website at:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

How about a pair of 80 lb. dobies?

Reply to
Crash Gordon®

How about a sign for 2 bucks that says.....

Private Property Keep Out

Norm Mugford

Reply to
Norm Mugford

Those will work but you have to provide them with a regular supply of visitors or they get hungry.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Well, it's a farm so adding another sign below that .... that says.

BEWARE OF BULL

would probably do wonders.

Reply to
Jim

Nah...that sign belongs here in the ng.... ;-)

Reply to
coord

Or "Steal Here -- Die Here"

Or "If I find you here at night, they'll find you here in the morning"

In the store here I have "Employee Only" signs at the entrance to the stockroom and office. You'd be amazed at how many employees I have. Signs don't work, you need a physical barrier.

Bob

Reply to
Roberto

Hnmm ... Actually , for the group, you'd have to increase the width of the sign to accommodate one more word. Then you have to increase the size of the letters so that the one with the fat puffy eyelids, that the sign refers to, could read it.

Reply to
Jim

A psychological deterrent does the trick. I recommend a digital voice module. Optex makes a decent one. You can record a message that says they have been electronically detected in an unauthorized area and that authorities have been notified. Or something to that effect.

If that doesn't do the trick...install a beam across the driveway that will trigger the sprinklers.

- T

Reply to
Consultant

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.