How would you go about testing Wireless Security?

I was thinking of, not becoming a Cracker exactly, but of testing WiFi durability with a laptop I have.

I can reinvent the wheel but I'd hope some pointers might get me to thinking about something as yet not though of.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk
Loading thread data ...

Ummm... if you asked a medical doctor the same question, "how does one test to see if I'm in good health", you'll probably get the same dazed look that I'm experiencing. It's very difficult to build a security tool that checks the intergrity your unspecified operating system, all the applications installed, all the utilities that you added, viruses, worms, trojans, backdoors, key loggers, spyware, personal firewall, data leakage, and wireless. You have to have some clue as to what you're looking for. Each vulnerability has it's own tools. Virus scanner for viruses. Spyware scanner for spyware. There are also attempts at universal tools, such as Nessus scanner. Unfortunately, the Windoze client version (NessusWX) has been discontinued. Search Google for "vulnerability scanner".

However, for wireless, it's easy. If you're using WPA or WPA2 encryption, with a fairly long pass phrase, you're almost as good as it gets. If you're using a RADIUS server for authentication, which distributes unique WPA keys, even better. If you're at a coffee shop, on an unencrypted wireless connection, and you're *NOT* using a VPN or SSL tunnel, then you're subject to sniffing and not at all secure. Extra credit for having a firewall running on your unspecified operating system, but that doesn't prevent sniffing.

With wireless, it's really about how you use the wireless, than whether it's "durable", "secure", or whatever. You can have a perfectly secured wireless laptop, but if used improperly on an insecure wireless connection, you're in trouble.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

OK, Thx Jeff.

That 1st part had me feeling "oho, its a scolding I'm in for..." but something came from your post.

TBerk

Reply to
TBerk

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.