Can I and why would I have a DIFFERENT SSID for my 2nd WAP

Hi-

Have a simple netgear wgr614 v5 wireless router as well as a Motorola WA840G WAP. Since the netgear can't do WDS, I'm running a wireline extension out to the Moto.

Could somebody please confirm that I don't necessarily have to have the same name the SSID on the moto the same as that on the Netgear (though use a different channel).

The downside is roaming is not possible. The upside is it gives me more direct control over which station I connect via.

Possible? (I ask whether possible because so far not getting that to work and that will confirm for me it's probably just a config issue if it is possible.)

Also, any pros / cons I'm ignoring in choosing a separate SSID?

Thanks!

Reply to
trippknightly
Loading thread data ...

Running CAT5 is always better than trying to do this via wireless.

Confirmed. You can pick different SSID's for each radio. That give you the ability to select to which one you want to connect.

Yep.

No complications that I can think of. It should work just fine with different SSID's.

You already listed them. The pro is that you can chose your connection point. The con is that you can't do seamless roaming with different SSID's.

Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.